Chapter 26: Doing The World A Justice

~Freya POV~

Freya, having noticed her former friend Vincent as well as Keelin, nervously decided who would be easier to brave. She took a deep breath and let her legs make the decision for her before she found herself at Vincent's side.

"Vincent." She said, acknowledging the man who was drinking at the bar.

"Elijah's up there, he's probably cutting a deal and killing somebody." He told her, clearly feeling disdain in her presence. "Either way, we got nothing to be talking about."

"That's fine." She replied with a sad smile. "But I wouldn't feel right if I didn't say thank you...For helping my family."

"And we all know I live to make sure you feel right." He shot back, rolling his eyes as he did. "I'm helping your niece. I don't give a damn about you or your family. I'm only here because there's something that's out there hurting kids in my city. And the second that it is gone, I will make sure that you're gone too. That's all. Now if you'll excuse me."

"I get it." She called, causing him to turn back and face her. "You're angry at me because of what I did to Davina. And I can't say I blame you. But the truth is I did what I needed to do. And I regret the cost, but I had no choice."

"I really think you should change the Mikaelson motto to "I have no choice". You guys seem to use that a lot more often than Always and Forever." Odessa said as she joined the two. "I mean look at you, really trying to justify what you did, even though you know it was wrong. Lara was in love with you. I've known Lara a long time and I know that she had never felt that way about anyone else. You could've convinced her to stop, but you didn't want to have to try and talk her down. You were too much of a coward to try anything else."

"You sit on your high horse but can you honestly say that none of your battles have casualties?" Freya questioned indignantly. "And you, Vincent? All your wars have been casualty-free? Because if so, congratulations. It must be nice. As in my experience, survival has costs, just like love and family and anything else. But at the end of the day, we only answer to ourselves."

"And you probably tell yourself that because you haven't got anybody else." Vincent told her when he got a text. He frowned and showed it to Odessa who also seemed frustrated by it.

"Is everything okay here?" Keelin asked as she joined them, looking as beautiful as ever in Freya's eyes.

"Don't worry about that. We were just leaving anyway." Odessa answered before walking away with Vincent at her side.

"They seem nice." Keelin murmured sarcastically. "Want me to break their legs?"

"That's one idea." Freya replied with a chuckle, her heart warming at Freya's words. "Another is we just go get a drink."

"Okay." Keelin said with a smile as they sat back at the bar, unaware of the burden Freya carried with her.

~Fiore POV~

Klaus and I walked outside to come face-to-face with followers of The Hollow. They saw us and charged but I merely flicked my hand and the two of them dropped to the floor. It was almost too easy.

"It's a good thing one isn't judged by the competence of their enemies, otherwise I'd be rather insulted." Klaus told the two.

"I'd say the same thing about husbands." I muttered as I waved my hand and the two men were picked up from the floor and pinned against the wall.

Klaus walked to the two of them and plucked the stakes that were adorned with the deadly thorns from their pockets in spite of their protests. Vincent then joined us with Odessa at his side, stone-faced. I gave her a look of warning and she nodded before quickly going back inside, taking care not to be seen by the Hollow's followers.