Chapter 24: Leading Ladies

"Are you sure this will work?" Hayley asked as we walked into the place where her parents had been murdered.

"I can already feel the energy trapped in here when your parents died." I answered in response, shivering from the cold chill of their deaths' aura.

"In other words, it'll work." Freya added.

"But are you sure you want to go through with this?" I asked her with concern.

"I always wondered what my parents might've been like." Hayley replied with a wistful smile. "What they might've thought about me."

"They would've loved you. They would have thought you were amazing." I told her.

"No, they would've been ashamed of me." She corrected, turning to face me with a conflicted face. "They would hate all the bad things I did. To you, to all those people I hurt in the last four years—So, if doing this can help me get a glimpse of what they were like and stop the thing that's after your daughter—then I'll go through hell and back."

~Klaus POV~

Klaus, sure that he had not been followed, walked to the peculiar painting and pulled it from the wall revealing his safe. He put the blade in there for safekeeping and sighed when he was satisfied of its safety.

"No imaginary Fiore making snide comments." He murmured with a slight smirk. "I'm finally doing something right."

He walked into the room where Vincent sat, laying out cards on the table. He did a quick sweep of the area to ensure Fiore wasn't around and sighed when she ran through the door.

"Klaus! Thank goodness!" She exclaimed as she ran into the room.

"Don't look so surprised to see me, you live in my head." He muttered bitterly.

"What?" She seemed confused and only then did he realise she was Odessa.

"Nothing, why were you looking for me?" He asked, quickly changing the subject to throw her off the scent of his current state of insanity.

"Um...for this. Why else?" She replied.

"In that case, how about we start? Preferably sometime this evening." He replied with a snarky tone as he took a seat.

"You really cocked that one up." His subconscious incarnation of Fiore interjected.

"Perfect." The blonde muttered under his breath.

"Now I've already started on the hunt for enemies. I was down there, shaking hands with all the guests, doing a reading." Vincent explained. "Now I can take that energy, put it in the deck and find out who we're looking for."

And for the first time in a while, Klaus let out a satisfied smirk. "Then let's get to it, shall we?"

~Fiore POV~

Freya finished setting up the spell and I sat in the middle with a nerve-wracked Hayley. I gave her once last look in an attempt to dissuade her from this but when I was sure she was set in her way, I prepared to do the reading of the room.

"Are you ready?" I questioned.

She nodded and took my hands whilst I began to chant the spell that would allow us to direct the energy from the room as well as from her infantile memory.

We were cast into her past where we saw her parents fending off Mary's husband whilst baby Hayley cried from her crib. Their assailant stabbed her father in the neck and in his dying moments he dropped a key into the floorboard. She gasped and yanked her hands out of mine, in shock from fully bearing witness to the death of her parents. She stood up and immediately ran to the floorboard, pulling out the key her father had died to protect.