Chapter 41: What We Think Doesn't Matter

I paced about in the courtyard where Freya was preparing a spell and Hayley looked on anxiously. Klaus bounded in, clearly frustrated and immediately dropped the call he was on.

"Kol and Rebekah have just landed and I assured them that we are mere moments away from returning our brother to life. Don't make me a liar." Klaus told his older sister.

"I can't resurrect Elijah 'til I'm certain his mind is whole." Freya retorted, clearly tired of Klaus snapping at her.

"Well you saved Finn with that very trinket, what's the problem?" He growled.

"When that pendant was shattered, Elijah's mind shattered with it." She explained in frustration. "He's most likely retreated to the innermost core of his consciousness."

"How do we find that?" Hayley asked.

"I don't know, it could be anywhere in over a thousand years of memories but if I try fixing the pendant before finding him and healing his mind, he'll be permanently fractured." The resident witch continued. "Like casting a broken bone before it's been properly set."

"Spare me the medical analogies and fix him!" Her younger brother yelled.

"I need to go inside and find him, once I'm sure his mind is whole, then I can fix the pendant." Freya fired back, just as angrily.

"Then stop talking and get him in there before—"

"Nik!" I snapped, cutting my husband off. "Go take a walk. Clear your head and let Freya work. You being here and yelling isn't going to make her save Elijah faster, so just go."

"Please." Hayley begged.

Nik nodded before stalking off and Freya shot him a smug look which she quickly wiped away when I gave her a pointed look of my own.

"Please tell me that you can do this." Hayley said, turning to Freya pleadingly.

"He's my brother, I'm not gonna stop until he's safe."

~Marcel POV~

"Good news and bad news." Josh began. "Vincent thinks he can cure Sofya, all you need to do is bring him the Hollow's blood."

"Twenty-five-hundred-year-old newly resurrected witch and I just need to get her blood." Marcel said somewhat defeatedly. "There's gotta be a better option. Is that all he said?"

"Pretty much." Josh replied. "Just something about extracting the magic from the Hollow's blood and then reverse-engineering what she did to Sofya—the point is, I think it's a safe bet that Sofya's not his top priority."

"Sofya risked her life for me, alright? I'm not gonna sit around while she's dying."

"Fine I get that." Josh told him. "But given that The Hollow is pure evil incarnate, maybe you should consider reaching out to people that are just a little more powerful than me. Like Mikaelson people. Like Enigma people. Like—"

"I work better alone." Marcel told him, as he began to get dressed.

"Is that so Mr Incredible?" Josh continued. "Then what am I doing here?"

"You're the only one I trust, alright?" Marcel explained before turning to the comatose Sofya. "Just look after her while I'm gonna track down The Hollow."

And as Marcel left, Josh turned to his new ward and sighed.

"At least that makes me Frozone."

~Klaus POV~

"I never told you, but over countless years you have met so much to me." Klaus said as he stood beside his brother's coffin. "You have been a redeemer, a confidante, a mentor and a rival and a friend. And at times, yes, you've been a royal pain in the ass, but now look at you. And I'm so sorry, my brother. This will not be your end. I will not rest until I bring you back. No matter how many I have to kill to ensure it."

"Sounds like fun." Klaus broke his focus away from his brother at the sound of his little sister's voice. He turned back and there she stood, clearly distraught over her brother. "I could do with a bit of murder and mayhem."

~Odessa POV~

Odessa was in the cauldron, preparing for The Hollow's attack and the best way to protect the witches. She was preparing so thoroughly that she hadn't noticed when Vincent had appeared behind her.

"Odessa!" He called out, shaking her and bringing her back to earth.

"Vincent, what is it?" She asked him. "If it's about Sofya, like I told Josh, I've already got enough on my plate."

"It's not about Sofya." Vincent told her.

"Then what is it?" She asked exasperatedly.

"It's about you. And your elusive history." Vincent said, making Odessa sigh and finally turn to face him.

"What do you wanna know?" She asked him.

"A lot."
"You're gonna have to be more specific."

"The Hollow knew you." Vincent said. "But she didn't want to kill you. You're of Fiore's bloodline, which would make you a Labonair, that makes you just as much a threat as Fiore and Grace. So why didn't she kill you? I don't know anything about you. I don't know your age, where you from—hell I don't even know your last name."

"Here's the thing." Odessa replied. "There are certain things you don't wanna know."

"And I agree." Vincent continued. "But I wanna know this."

~Fiore POV~

"It's not your fault you know." I didn't even look at him as he sat down beside me on the chair and swung an arm around my shoulder.

"And how would you know?" I asked sceptically.

"Because I know you, darling." He said with a chuckle. "And I know you have a penchant for taking things onto your shoulders for no other reason than there being no one else to blame."

"Do you really think we can save him, Kol?" I asked reluctantly. "Because while I want Elijah to come back to life, a bigger part of me doesn't think he will."

"I think, it doesn't matter what we think." He told me as he lay a small kiss on the top of my head. "I think it matters how far we go to get him back."

"In other words, you agree with me." I said, finally turning to face him but he merely stood up and stretched a hand out to me.

"Come along now, we've got a kill list to complete."

~Klaus POV~

"Perhaps you should have stayed where you were." Klaus said as he went to hug his sister.

"I never should've left." She told him sadly. "Elijah might still be alive."

"Or you'd be lying beside him." Klaus replied.

"Alright, chit-chat's over." Kol told his siblings as he strolled in with Fiore. "Can we slaughter someone now?"

"Well first things first." Fiore began. "We need to destroy the weapons that give their enemy their advantage. One scratch from the rosebush is lethal to you. I tracked down the eight that remain, including the main part, all in the ninth ward."

"Fine." Rebekah said with a shrug. "So we burn them all and then we murder that wretched bitch."

Klaus and Rebekah walked out of the room and Kol turned to Fiore with a sigh.

"Lethal thorns, resurrected witches. What could possibly go wrong?"

~Odessa POV~

"Start with how you know the Hollow." Vincent told her.

"My family worshipped The Hollow their whole life." She explained. "I personally thought it was a cult, but they certainly believed it. They made me wear this necklace they said it would make me look like The Hollow. And it did."

"What do you mean it did?" Vincent said to her.

"I mean that Fiore is just as much the Hollow as Inadu is."