Chapter 7

[Mikey's POV]

I kissed her.

I don't know why I did it, but I did. I could taste cigarettes on her lips and I found it oddly enjoyable.

Liza pulled away first, her eyes wide and her cheeks were pink with blush. She started to say something and I could tell it was nerve wracking from the way she started, hesitantly.

"Mikey, I-"

Then her phone rang.

With a sigh, she answered.

"Hello? Oh, hey mom."

Pause.

"Um, I mean, I guess I can. I'll be there in like 20 minutes."

She hung up and started walking away. I jumped up and ran to her.

"Wait!," I grabbed her shoulder "Liza..."

"What?" She said, a hint of regret in her voice.

"I think I'm starting to like you, but I don't know, so I hope this doesn't make things awkward between us because I really, really like hanging out with you and stuff."

She just nodded and started to run.

I got home and kicked the table.

"Fuck me in the ass!" I yelled, angry at how I messed up. My mom peeked her head around the corner.

"I would tell you to watch your language but I don't want to do that to you since you seem distressed, so what's wrong?" She asked, gesturing for me to sit down.

"I kissed Liza, and I think I messed everything up. I mean, the other week she said she liked me. What did I do wrong?"

"Maybe it was just the wrong time. Give her some time to think. If I remember right, she wasn't very impressed with your drinking."