✎1✎

*not edited

Talia

My junior year didn't end so well, my father got a new job in March in Seattle Washington. I was kind of excited because I always wanted to go to Seattle but then found out we are living an hour and a half away. My mom didn't want to live in a big city so they bought a house in Ferndale so I probably won't be going to Seattle as much as I thought.

The city is much smaller than the one I lived in back in Texas. There's only one high school and two middle school and three elementary schools. There was double of each where I'm from.

I have gotten pretty close with my neighbors, Brenda and David Young and Mrs. Andrews. I babysit Young's kids sometimes. Mrs. Andrews is like another grandma to me. We talk every Sunday on her pouch after she gets back from church and she tells me what I should look forward to in life. She's the main reason I even started to like Ferndale. I learned her husband passed from a stroke three months before we moved here and she has a granddaughter my age. She goes to my school her name's Kelsey and I absolutely hate her. If high school cliches still exist she is definitely one of them—the captain of the cheerleading team and queen bee of the school. She'll even be prom queen this year I bet.

In those last three months of my junior year, I managed to make two friends Paris and Rosalie but we call her Rose. I also managed to have a crush on my lab partner Eli who always happens to be Kelsey's ex-boyfriend. I was quite surprised to find out he dated her because he doesn't seem like her type. Eli isn't as popular as her, he isn't the captain of any teams. So I wonder what pulled them together.

Summer is almost over and I'm absolutely sad about it because now I have to see Kelsey and her annoying friends every day. Plus I like the fact that Eli kind of became part of our group: Me, Paris and her boyfriend Greyson, Rose and her twin brother Ezra. Eli is Ezra's best friend so he just started hanging out with all of us during the summer and we have gotten really close.

"Can't believe it's already the end of July," Eli says. I'm walking next to him pretty close our hands out practically touching while Paris and Greyson our in front of us holding hands. Ezra and Rose went home twenty minutes ago.

"I know, it's like summer zipped past," I add.

"Guys we are going to be seniors," Paris says excitedly. I, on the other hand, wanted to just be done with high school.

"Yeah our final year, isn't your birthday soon Talia?" Greyson says looking back at me.

"Yes, it's in two weeks going to be 18," I smile. I get to spend my birthday the week before school starts so no skinny blonde with a perfect smile can ruin it.

"That's awesome, do you have anything planned?" Eli asked looking down at me. His hair is dark brown and eyes are light green. His lips are full and pink. His skin is clearer than water. He's so handsome it hurts.

"Nothing yet, but I'm sure rose already has it planned." Rose loves parties and loves throwing them so I'm sure she already has something for us to do.

"She probably has a circus lineup as we speak," Paris adds and we all laugh.

Suddenly Greyson and Paris stop causing Eli and me to almost bumping into them.

"Isn't that your neighbor Mrs. Andrews house?" Paris says and I look over to see a moving truck and people putting boxes in the back. What's going on?

"Yeah, it is. I'll see you guys later." I hug them all making the one with Eli the longest. I rush over to see Mrs. Andrews sitting on her porch watching them take the boxes out of her house and into the truck.

"Oh Talia, you made it just in time." She weakly smiles.

"What's going on Lorena?" I ask her.

"I'm moving into a retirement home. I sold my house last month. Painters came last week to paint the walls white again. It's time to go."

"Why didn't you tell me earlier," I say tearing up.

"Because I knew you cry dear and I love seeing you so happy. Are you enjoying Ferndale now?"

"Yes, but it isn't gonna be the same without you?" A few tears fall from my eyes.

"Oh come here," she wraps her arms around me. "You are going to do just fine dear. You are going to take the world by storm and won't even think about the old lady that you used to live next to." We stop hugging after I stopped crying.

"Do you know when the people will move in? My mom probably going to try to make us meet them."

"No I don't, there are some people that will check the plumbing and other things around the house that might need touch-ups. It probably not be long though Henry was always fixing things himself." She smiles thinking of her husband Henry, I just know he carpenter before he retired.

"That's the last of the boxes," a man interrupts. She nods and gets up from the bench and I walk her the car her son was going to drive her to the retirement home in.

"Goodbye, sweetie. Remember everything I've told you, you might need it one day." I hug her one last time.

"I will take care." She gets in the car and they drive off. I'm going to miss her.

Two weeks later

"Happy birthday to youuu!" My parents and little brother sing as I blow my cupcake. I had my birthday lunch with them and I'm going to a party that Rose and Ezra are throwing at their house. As we drive back to our house we noticed a moving truck outside Mrs. Andrews old house.

"Oh look someone is moving into that old lady's house," my little brother Kai points out the window.

"Well once they're all moved in we can go say hi," my mother says. Once I get inside my room I change into something more comfortable than this dress. I put on a crop top and black jean shorts with my white converses. I go outside to meet Eli who offered to drive me to the party.

"I'll be home late!" I yell before going out the door. My parents aren't really strict, they just don't want me out later than midnight and drinking alcohol. Of course, I will tonight though because it's my party and I'll drink if I want to.

"Happy birthday beautiful," Eli says and I practically melt into a puddle.

"Thank you," I smile. Eli was already 18 he turned the first week of summer but he had a sleeve of tattoos way before then. I guess that happens when you have an older brother who's a tattoo artist. When I got to the party the house was practically full. Since Ezra and Rose's parents travel a lot they get away with throwing parties all the time. The night was filled with me drinking a generous amount of alcohol and dancing my ass off to the hottest songs out now. Everyone sings me happy birthday and we all get pieces of a giant cake Rose got. By the end of the party, my legs were sore, my feet ache, and I was so drunk I could vomit any minute.

I was lucky to have Eli, he didn't drink at all tonight and he stayed by my side.

"Thanksss for tonight, you're amazing," I slur.

"I'm glad you had fun." I normally wouldn't do this but the alcohol is adding some courage. I lean over and kiss him. He kisses back and even though I'm drunk this is the best I've had. I pull away and stare at his swollen lips and then his eyes.

"I'll see you Monday at school," I say and get out of the car and stumble my way to the door. I look into my purse for my keys but felt like someone is watching me and it wasn't Eli because he drove off. I shake it off and grab my key before going inside my house.

✵✵✵

Here's the first chapter I hope you enjoyed.
Vote and comment for more updates.