t w e n t y - f o u r

I realize that this book is waaay longer and taking way longer than I had first anticipated so I apologize for that.

Not really sure how many chapters are left because I'm just writing until I feel like it's finished otherwise I would give you like a date or something in which I would be finished.

I hope you're enjoying the story. xoxo

It took almost forty five minutes to figure out a way to pop the popcorn over the fire inside the fireplace

It took almost forty five minutes to figure out a way to pop the popcorn over the fire inside the fireplace. Eventually, Winter manages to rig some sort of contraption with the shelves in the oven to place the pot and lid on. I'm pretty sure that wasn't a good idea but at this point, we all just want something that doesn't come in a can.

As the kernels begin to pop, I practically jump out of my skin. I've been laying on Winter's parents' bed reading the back of a novel his mother had left on the bedside table (honestly very surprised by the romantic genre) and the sound of the first few loud pops really got me.

Winter laughs, noticing this. "You good?"

I give him a sheepish smile, setting the book down. "Yeah, sorry."

"You're fine." He grins. "I already knew that you were jumpy but popcorn popping? Wow, Sam." He teases with a light expression, shaking the pan on the wrack with two oven mitts on each hand. I watch warily as the flames lick the the bottom of the pan and I silently pray Winter doesn't stupidly burn himself somehow.

"I'm not that jumpy." I defend, though the memory of being down in the basement in the dark with Dakota and Winter pops up in my mind and remember how easily I was frightened. "Never mind." I mumble in defeat.

He laughs again, shaking the pan once more and using his forearm to push the hair from his forehead. I look closely in the dark, the fire and a few candles being the only light provided, to see a thin shimmery layer of sweat on his forehead from squatting so close to the intense heat.

"At least you've come to terms with it. The first step to recovery is recognizing the problem." Winter says, shaking the pan one last time before pulling the pan out and setting it on a heat pad we laid on the hutch at the end of the bed.

"Wow." I respond sassily. "Thanks, I really appreciate that advice."

"Glad to be of service." He winks at me as he tosses a hot piece of popcorn straight into his mouth and chomps down happily.

I push myself off of the bed and walk towards him, leaning over to grab a handful of the crunchy snack but his hand stops me. "Ah ah ah, Sam. This is for the movie." He tells me through his own mouthful of popcorn.