f o u r t e e n

Time passes slowly and quietly as the end of the movie plays out before us

We lay on our sides now, our eyes set on the screen in between us atop our blanket-made bed. I shift my position, laying my head on my bent arm. My hair flows behind me on the floor.

The couple in the Hallmark film share a dramatic kiss which earns a scoff from Winter. "Ew what in the world that's the most awkward kiss I've ever seen."

"Then don't watch." I laugh, angling my head to look at him.

He must feel my gaze because his eyes glide over to the side, a frown overcoming his features. "I can't believe you've put me through this torture." He closes the laptop as soon as the end credits begin rolling up the screen.

Darkness blots my vision a moment before my eyes adjust to the change in lighting. We blew out two thirds of the candles due to the fact that we'll need them tomorrow night, if we're still here, and Dakota is fast asleep. He also claims to be light sensitive which is preposterous.

"You liked it." I whisper, settling in my spot on the floor. In the back of my head, I consider moving to the couch before I fall asleep but I push the thought away. I'm wide awake and I'm wondering if Winter is too.

"Lies." He mumbles back, looking up at the ceiling.

"Okay I'll let it slide. But if you don't confess, the next time I watch a Hallmark movie, I won't invite you to join me." I joke with a smirk.

His deep chuckle reaches my ears and it automatically pulls a laugh out of me and onto my lips. "You know what, I did like it. But only because I like hanging out with you and your reactions to the cringey parts are rather amusing."

I pause, trying to think back to any reaction I may have had but can't bring any to my recollection. "I do not react." I whisper.

Winter rolls back onto his side, giving me a raised brow. "Are you serious? You covered your eyes when she started singing."

My nose curls. "Oh yeah, the Christmas carols. That's just because I can't handle it."

"Exactly. I find it entertaining." He gives me a crooked smile.

I roll my eyes, putting on an annoyed front albeit my stomach is flipping nervously from his undivided attention with no sign of Dakota waking up. It's one thing to talk to someone in the daytime and have casual conversation but there's something completely different that happens when you're up until the wee hours of the morning with someone. Especially if they are of the opposite gender. It feels more personal.