s i x t e e n

I'm very bad at writing short stories because they end up not being that short...

I NEED TO FINISH THIS BEFORE CHRISTMAS GOSH DARN IT!

I wake up to the smell of hot chocolate and lingering candle scents

I wake up to the smell of hot chocolate and lingering candle scents. My eyes squint against the morning sun, the light reflecting off of the clean white snow.

I slowly stand, the blankets flowing off and around my feet. My socks hit the wooden floor, the coldness is the night lingering, as I wrap my arms around myself tightly with a shiver.

Peaking through the blinds, my eyes narrow against the light as I feel my pupils shrink painfully. I scan the outside surroundings as far as I can see. From what I gather, the snow has slowed to a slower pace but the wind remains. I watch as fat snowflakes land over and over, letting it mesmerize me.

"Cold?" I hear Winter's groggy voice speak behind me. Quickly turning around, I see his tired green eyes and disheveled hair. Though he has seemed to decide his Christmas pajamas are too much for the daytime because he has since opted for a pair of dark skinny navy blue adidas sweatpants and a very comfy looking gray sweater. His feet adorn a pair of thick charcoal gray socks and his face holds a crooked grin, two mugs in hand.

I feel a ghost of a smile inhabit my lips, the smell of cocoa enveloping me like a warm hug. I happily, take the snowman mug from his fingers.

"Thank you." I sigh after taking a sip, the warmth reaching my stomach and spreading all across every nerve in a string of comfort. "When did you get up?"

Winter shrugs, taking a drink from his own cup and sitting gently onto the couch beside my brother, who is still snoozing away with his face smushed into the cushion.

"I usually wake up around six thirty and my body just won't let me sleep any longer. I used to hate it but now I find it refreshing to have some time to prepare for my day. Maybe read my Bible or cook breakfast." His eyes focus on me as I take a sip.

I nod, my eyebrows furrowing. "Bible? Are you a Christian?" I inquire curiously.

His lips press together as he smiles. "Yeah, I am. And I think it's important to really remind ourselves what Christmas is all about."

I watch him with searching eyes, my heart warming at his calm demeanor and expression as if he's completely comfortable and proud of his beliefs.

"You don't believe in Santa?" I joke with a small laugh as I shift my grip on the mug in my hands, my fingers burning slightly from the heat.

Winter shakes his head, laughing lowly, "Nope, never. What about you?"

"What about me?"

"What do you believe?" He asks me, his eyes locked on me as he genuinely wishes to hear all that I have to say. The feeling it gives me to see someone look at me with such intention is like nothing I've ever felt. It compels me to speak.