e i g h t e e n

Honestly, sometimes, I really feel like I'm ready to be in love and then I remember how it feels to get hurt. Then I remember I'm just not ready to trust someone else and I need more time. Patience is a virtue.

Boy clothes are definitely way more comfortable than girl clothing and that's a fact

After I've slipped on the garments Winter let me borrow, I feel refreshed and clean. I try to ignore my knotty hair and to set a mental note to always bring my Wet Brush everywhere I go.

I stare at the mirror, my head cocking sideways as I inspect my reflection. I've never been one to worry too much about the stretch marks on my inner thighs or the acne scars on the cheeks but today it's like my eyes have been opened to them.

Something that's always been annoying is the redness of my skin. Most girls can step out of the shower or go swimming and their skin will remain even and nice consistent skin tone. Me? My face becomes a blotchy mess. It's something you kind of deal with but it's also a source of serious insecurity.

Shaking my head to rid myself of negative thoughts, I smile to myself to try and reinforce some self love before opening the door and stepping out, the cold immediately meeting me. I shiver slightly.

Why did Winter give me shorts? Is he crazy?

I stop in the hallway, looking in either direction to see no one and hearing only silence. To my left is Winter's open bedroom door and straight across is what looks to be his parents room. Looking to my right, I see a closed door (to which I'm assuming Dakota inhabits) and also what looks to be an office of some sort with white french doors. And of course the hall closet.

Peaking off the banister, I spot Winter sitting on the couch and peering down at his phone. After a moments hesitation, I tip toe into his bedroom before closing the door quietly and releasing the breath I'd been holding.

It looks different in the daylight. The sun shines through the windows and hits the bare bedsheet covering his mattress. Walking to his closet, I pull the doors open and bring my hand up to run my fingers along the fabric of a multitude of dress shirts, sweatshirts, and windbreakers.

My eyebrows raise at the abundance of shoes lining the shelves along with baseball caps stacked upon one another. He must be pretty serious about his style choices because wow this is a lot.

My heart leaps when the door suddenly swings open, deep humming filling the space. Blood rushes in my ears and warmth floods my face and neck, my back stiffening. The humming stops abruptly and I cringe.

"Sam?" I hear his voice speak, a hint of surprise in his tone.

I slowly turn my head to look at him, placing a relaxed expression on my face. "Yes?"