s e v e n t e e n

probs already used that ^^ ... oh whale.

"You know, I'm feeling very attacked right now

"You know, I'm feeling very attacked right now. If I would have known that I'd be trapped in a house with two people who gang up on me, I'd have never come over here last night." Dakota sits back in his seat and looks at us with half closed eyes.

I blink at him a few times before glancing over at Winter with a confused expression. He looks me in the eye and raises a brow as if to say he's as clueless on me.

"How are we ganging up on you?" Winter mumbles. I fight a laugh when Dakota gives him a defensive scowl.

"Are you kidding?" My brother sputters dramatically. "You both think I'm insane and I've been third wheeling this entire time." He states.

"Dakota..." I sigh, "that's not true."

"You guys are in denial. Therefore, I'm going upstairs and going back to sleep so you two can do whatever and leave me out of it." He sigh, standing up with his hot cocoa and blanket.

My widen at the thought of Dakota being gone for who knows how long and me being left with Winter to figure out conversations and to force myself not to be awkward. "Uh...why don't you take a nap down here?" I ask.

I feel Winter's eyes on me as I stand to get my brothers attention. He turns around with a dead stare. "Sam, you'll be fine. Have fun, I'm going to dream about a vacation in the Bahamas." Dakota salutes us and shuffles away as I stare at his retreating figure wordlessly.

Once he's out of sight, we sit in complete silence. I sip at my chocolate beverage while staring at my black screen and pretending to be very invested in something very interesting.

A few moments go by and soon my drink is all gone and I have nothing to distract me from the complete quiet in the room. It's absolutely crazy how calm and dead it is when Dakota isn't talking, snoring, yelling, singing, or breathing anywhere near me.

My head perks up when Winter clears his throat, breaking the invisible barrier of silence. "So...I noticed you brought a bag with you when you came over last night." He says, obviously trying to make conversation.

I smile, looking over at my open backpack and remembering my emergency hang out supplies such as my book and laptop. I might even have my own chapstick in there...but Winter doesn't need to know that.

"Yeah." I say, tucking my hair behind my ear. I'm suddenly made very aware that I never got an actual shower last night and I must look awful. "It just has your basic survival tools." I joke.

This earns a laugh from him, his eyes lighting up as he looks straight at me. "Oh yeah? Like what?"

I lick my lips, pausing. "I don't know...a book. Also my laptop, which you're already aware of, and I'm not sure what else..." My eyebrows furrow before my arm extended and my hand grasps the bag, bringing it to my lap.

Not quite remembering all the contents, I begin pulling everything out of the bag as Winter watching with curious eyes. I wonder why this is so entertaining to him. Maybe he's into those What's In My Bag videos? I don't know.

"Hm..." I hum, pulling out my headphones. "Oh my gosh, yes!" I holler, setting aside my extra socks and moccasins. "I forgot I had these." I smile.

I peak inside, the only objects remaining being the tampons I brought just in case of an emergency. It's probably best that I don't pull those out.

"Is that all?" Winter asks, setting down his empty mug on the coffee table.

I press my lips together, nodding. "Yeah that's pretty much it. Everything else is pretty mundane and normal. Just your average teen backpack." I release a laugh.

"Okay." He smiles, standing up swiftly. "You done with this?" He questions, pointing to my own cup.

"Yes, thank you." I say appreciatively when he pick it up and begins walking them to the kitchen sink and setting them inside.

I sit and listen to the water turn on and off as he rinses the dishes and the sound of footsteps when he enters the room once again.

"Hey, if you need a shower, you're welcome
to use any of our restrooms." His white teeth shoot me a dazzling smile.

My feel my cheeks burn yet again. "Yeah I'm looking a bit rough." I laugh nervously.

I watch his expression change to a look of soft surprise as if that had never crossed his mind. "What? No, I didn't mean to imply - I'm such an idiot. You don't look bad...I mean, it's not only that you don't look bad. What I'm trying to say is I think you look good. Great even." He blurts out almost too quickly to understand.

I pause, a smile on my lips and a laugh being held. "Thanks. And I think I'll take you up on the offer. I could really use a shower."

Winter looks seemingly relieved to have a change in subject and the attention off of himself. "Yes, of course."

Standing, I begin pulling the hoodie over my head. "Here." I toss it to him as I stand there in his t-shirt.

"Thank you." He chuckles. "Will you need some more clothes?"

"Please?" I give him a toothy smile.

He shakes his head with a small laugh. "Yeah I'll put them outside the door. You go ahead and get in the shower."

"Okay." I agree, grabbing my phone before making my way to the bathroom upstairs since I already know how to work the shower in it.

I take my time under the warm running water, reveling in the soothing sensation of the pressure on my skin like a soft massage. When I'm finished, I step out and wrap myself in a soft baby blue towel. After opening the door about an inch and a half and peaking outside to make sure no one is there, I open it all the way and kneel down the get the clothes Winter set out for me.

I cringe at the pair of Pink underwear that must belong to his mom but I tell myself I don't really have a choice unless I want to wear dirty underwear or even go commando. When I close the door again, I inspect the t-shirt and boxer shorts he gave me.

I've never worn boxers before but they look pretty comfy. Is it weird for a girl to wear boxer shorts? I guess we'll find out.

I pause when my eyes lock onto the t-shirt, my heart warming and my stomach feeling a knot of joyous amusement as I inspect the Frank Sinatra album photo on the charcoal gray cotton shirt.

This boy is something else, that's for sure.