Waxing Quater - Chapter 09

The smell of party was in the air. A blend of vodka, sweat, cigarettes, sex, sick and tears. Disgusting. Yet everyone's was too high on the music (or the weed they'd smoked before) to care.

There was a sea of bodies, dancing moving as one, some had fallen to the floor or ran to the loo to see that nights tea in the toilet.

She was dragged in, let the music move her, laughed and danced as she felt no one in particular spinnnnh her from place to place but just a mass of happy people.

Girls screaming, "this is my favourite!" at every change of song, from rap to the 70's classics. Among the mass of people she saw Alex, he approached her and she couldn't get away as she was too tangled in arms and legs.

"I respect you, let's be friends." It was uttered with a slight pang of sadness. He didn't mean it but at least this way he could keep her eyes in his life.

She grabbed his hands, spinning him around laughing and dancing.

He whispered in her ear, "are you really that happy without me?"

She carried on dancing with him, laughing pretending she couldn't hear him, but she could hear conversations in other rooms.

The song ended and she left. Stepped out side into the cold uncaring world and starred out into the garden watching people messing around at the bottom, boys pissing on trees and stood and lit a cigarette.

Cigarettes are so disgustingly beautiful, every attractive person that smokes them couldn't look cooler but they're destroying their insides. For Clio this didn't matter her insides would stay the same even if someone plunged a dagger into her lungs.

The smoke was pushed into the air around her, escaping upwards and twirling into images she couldn't read until fading away, then she took another long drag, to push out everything in her brain.

A shake of a cigarette box was heard next to her, then the click of a lighter.

"Smoking kills you know?"

Asshai was standing next to her, effortlessly leaning on the wall staring into her eyes.

"Does it ?" She said, well she knew it kills everyone else but not her and him. They couldn't be killed by burning tobacco and paper, they couldn't be killed even when they wanted to.

"Why are you here anyways?" She continued, between puffing out wisps of grey curling and dancing in the air.

"Loads of people from my year are, and what's better than watching a carnage of humans lust for sex and drink the night until what to them seems like death the next morrow?"

She stamped on the biff, crushing it into the ground and slid down the wall into the almost slimy concrete.

He followed her down, and sat uncomfortably next to her still smoking and watching it disappear mesmerised.

"You haven't been in school, and you broke up with him after the beach. Your not starting to love me are you?" He joked, he appreciated her company as much as she did his, they could relate and he could step away from his facade for a while.

"You wish! No I just think maybe I need to move to the next place before I ruin everything here," she replied openly.

"Well I'm starting to like you being here in my town, it's fun to have someone like me in almost every way."

"Your town? and the last time I checked we were both creatures of the night and that's the only thing we have in common."

"That is because you don't look into my eyes and see how similar we are, yes we have both lived long lives, we both made a mistake of enrolling in the school system again, we both let the moon and waves speak to us and you feel comfortable around me."

"Yes but still I know nothing of you and you nothing of me."

"So get to know me"

He lead her into the kitchen-diner and span her around as American Pie played through the speakers.

He spun her around and held on close.

"Well I know that your in love with him because I saw you dancing in the gym, you both kicked off your shoes..."

They span around and slid like they'd never heard music so joyful before and screamed the classic words of Don McLean between fits of laughter.

"I met a girl who sang the blues and I asked her for some happy news but she just smiled and turned away"

He pulled her closer, she was almost on his feet as they danced and intertwined their hands. Never breaking eye contact.

"I went down to the scars store where I'd heard the music years before but the man they said the music wouldn't play,"

They slowed down to a sway, as the music was coming to an end. Softly twirling her around, as she laughed looking into his eyes that seemed stories higher.

"And in the streets the children screamed the lovers cried and the poets dreamed but not a word was spoken the church bells all were broken and the three men I admire most the father, the son, and the Holy Ghost they caught the last train to the coast the day the music died..."

His armed wrapped around the back of her head, he pulled her in close as she could feel the impressions on her skin of his breath. And kissed her. Softly and slowly not at all like she thought he would, not lethal lust but lethal love. She kissed him back, and she felt it.

It. That feeling Alexander had always felt with her, where everything was right and the sound of fireworks above her head was playing in her mind.

"Let's leave," he whispered breaking they're touch stopping the electricity that she felt.

They slipped out the door and a foot ahead he lead her holding his arm back for her to grab.

"So bye bye miss American pie drive my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry and them good old boys were drinking whiskey and rye singing this will be the day that I die."