Chapter 30: Taking Risks

Even though I wont be seeing Eliza today, I've been anxious ever since I stepped through the double doors. A part of me desperately wants to see her and apologize for how I treated her yesterday. The urge to seek her out is nearly unbearable now that I know shes close; I can almost feel her presence. But a bigger part reminds me of the danger she brings and puts my guard up. I don't want any accidental run-ins so I do my best to use different routes to avoid her.

I successfully make it to my to first class of the day, Economics, with her no where in sight. I meet Shelton and Siegel in our usual spot and take a seat beside the too.

"Mornin' Lou." Shelton says. "Hows your hand?" Siegel asks.

"Morning. And um, its fine. I took the bandage off yesterday to let them breathe." I explain, showing the now exposed cuts. "I'll provably get them wrapped for footy."

"Good deal." He says.

"So, hows Maci?" I ask. I don't really want to talk about me today. Everything in my life is hell.

"My life is the definition of shit and for some reason, even though we're enemies or whatever, you're always there."

I was always there for her, huh? Where is she for me? Thats right, she cant be; shes the one behind it all.

".. So, I'd say we're definitely on the verge of couplesville." Shelton says proudly.

"Nah-uh. I took Maci to the festival and she couldn't keep her hands off me. If anything, shes probably ready to be with me than you." Siegel argues. Here we go.

"Not a chance little brother. I've got 'er hooked like a fish."

"Well I got 'er addicted like drugs."

"Well I got 'er obsessed like fangirls."

"Well I got 'er-"

"Maci!" I say a little too cheerily, stopping the lads arguement. If she heard what they were saying, it'd end both of their chances. The little that they had.

"How ya doin'?"

"Good." She shrugs. "Not really wanting to be in this class." she groans, the seat in front of me.

"Mornin' maci." Siegel waves. "Nice to see ya." Shelton says.

"Hello.." She yawns. "God, I'm tired." She grumbles and rests her head on her desk. The guys give me a grateful smile and nod. Just because my life sucks doesn't mean I cant help theirs. Although, it would be nice to know someones as miserable as me. I suppose there is but I don't want to think about her right now.

My eyes move to the door when I see Marilyn come through. She scans the class and her eyes finally land on me. She gives me a weary smile before she takes her usual spot towards the front of the class. I thought she'd want to sit by me after yesterday. Is she scared I'd reject her?

"Hey, Rossie," I call, earning weird looks from my group. "Theres a seat right 'ere, you want it?"

She looks surprised at my offer; I knew she would. Shes about to get up and move seats but Mr. Holland walks in, looking at her questionably.

"Leaving my class already, Miss Rossie?" He smirks at her.

"No.. I was just movin' to the back." She says quietly, looking at me. He follows her gaze and quirks his brow, furrowing them afterwards. Whats his problem?

"Sorry, but I have a seating chart already in place. Please stay your seat." He requests sternly, flashing me one last glare.

Seating chart? Since when do we have assigned seats? People in here move desks all the time, what the hell's the matter with her moving back by me. And whats with the damn glare; is he trying to intimadate me? Two can play this stupid game.