Hiding

"Marissa, Marissa "
I hear my mom calling me while patting my shoulder lightly. It's Saturday, which means I have more hours to sleep and I want to assume that this is just a dream.
That my mom is not waking me up because she knows how much I value sleep. But..

"Honey, wake up "I hear her say.
"Mom, what is it? "I ask sleepily and I hear her sigh.

I open my eyes to see my mom looking down at me and she smiles.
"Good morning. Am waking you up because we have a party to attend in one hour."She says, her eyes lighting up.

"Mom, you know I hate parties and I just want to sleep. You can go alone "I tell her and I start slipping under my duvet.

"We were both invited.Besides how will Kate and Kyle feel if they hear you chose sleep over them. "
That statement gets me waking up and sitting on the bed.

"What do you mean Kate and Kyle? "I ask. My mom smiles as she says,

"Mark got a promotion as the CEO  and they invited us to celebrate with them.We should be there in an hour. "
Mark is Kyle's dad and yes, am happy for him but being there, means seeing Jaden and Jaden brings nothing but sadness to me.

Two weeks. It has been two whole weeks since the whole me and Jaden showdown. Yes, that's what am calling it. In all that time, neither Alexa nor Kyle asked about what happened that day and I am so thankful  that they didn't.
As for Jaden, I avoided him. And by avoid I mean, if I saw him outside their house, I would stay inside mine, until I was sure he was no longer there. Anything to make sure we don't run into each other. Silly, I know.

I don't know whether it's fear of confrontation, the fact that I broke down in front of him , my anti social ways, but whatever it was I didn't want to face him.What would I even say? How would I react? And because of all that I decided it was better like this, hide away from him.

I am happy for them because, they have good news after the tragedy they went through, but I just don't want to be anywhere near Jaden.

I think my mom saw my struggle because the next thing I know, her hands are holding mine.
"Honey are you okay? Is there something wrong? "She asks, concern clear in her voice.
I know this party will do her some good because it's not often, that she's out of work and so this will definitely help her relax. And I don't want to spoil that for her.

"No"i tell her, "
I just had a little disagreement with Kyle's cousin, but it's all solved now. So.. be ready in an hour right? "

And just like that, she starts smiling and telling me how excited Kate was when talking  about the promotion.She soon leaves to get ready and I start doing the same.

After an hour, we are walking into the Wilson's home and already some guests have arrived. I hate such situations.

Situations when there are so many people that I don't know and I have nothing in common with them. And all I ever want to do is escape,so that I don't have to talk to any of them. And that's exactly what I do. I tell my mom am going to look for Kyle and I walk up the stairs as she starts mingling with the crowd.

Kyle always talks about how his room is at the far corner of their house, and so I know exactly where am going. I knock at his door but there's no answer and turning on the knob, it opens.

Normally, I wouldn't just walk into someone's room, but it's either I hide here or go outside and pretend that am getting along with people I even don't know.

Kyle's room is actually really neat and organized. I lie back on his bed and just stare at the ceiling and wish he comes back before I die of boredom.I close my eyes and think that maybe I will just sleep a little before he comes .

Just then I hear the door open, and with my eyes closed, I sigh.

"Where the hell were you Kyle?I was just about to jump through this window and just go home. I hate being around  people I don't know . It's just so uncomfortable "
I rant out but Kyle still isn't saying anything, so I open my eyes and look at the open door.

But it's not Kyle. It's Jaden.Standing by the door just looking at me, and I immediately sit up. And the awkwardness I was avoiding downstairs just followed me up here, with the one person I don't  want to see. Great. The universe fucking loves me.
Jaden just stands there for like two minutes until I hear Kyle's voice.

"Dude, what are you doing out here? Unless you want to go back to your room and watch those twins pull each other hairs out. "
Just then Kyle appears at the door and I look up at him.

"M? "He asks surprised as he enters his room.
"What? "I ask. "Don't tell me I wasn't invited, my mom practically dragged me out of bed. Am supposed to be sleeping. "
Kyle laughs as he shakes his head. "No, it's not that, I just didn't know you were here. Why aren't you downstairs? "
"Why aren't you? "I direct his question to him. He sighs.
"Because dad's secretary couldn't find a babysitter and brought her twins here. Am making sure they don't go downstairs and ruin everything. Now you, why are you here? "

I sighed and said, "No offence, but I dislike everyone downstairs. With the exception of my mom and your parents, I don't want to be around the others. "

Then, I heard a laugh come from the door. I turned to see Jaden laughing while looking at me. That little... He's laughing at me !
"What's so funny? "I ask irritated.
He enters the room, looking at me and says

"Spoilt, aren't we?"With a smirk on his face. If only I could wipe that smirk off his face.
"Or is it that you can't handle being around people because you are just too shy? "
Jaden is pushing me into a corner but am just not in the mood for an argument right now. And so I look at him and say,

"Honestly, it's a little bit of both. Am impressed, since the day I met you, this is the first time you are saying something that actually makes sense. "
Jaden looks annoyed as he moves closer and looks me directly in the eyes.

"Watch how... "He doesnt get to finish whatever he wanted to say because Kyle speaks.
"Jaden, stop. "

He just continues looking into my eyes and I do the same challenging him to say whatever he wanted to say. But he doesn't. He just stands up straight, walks to the door and leaves. I look at Kyle just to see him smiling at me.

"What? "I ask.
"He talked to you "Kyle says excitedly.
"Why are you so happy? "I ask. "That wasn't talking. He just wanted to annoy me and start an argument.But am glad I had the last words and not him, I beat him at his own game. "
Kyle just continues looking at me looking way too happy.

"Okay, why are you grinning so much? It's just creepy now. "
"You are the only person he has talked to in two weeks. "Kyle says.

"What?! "
"And yes, you two were arguing, but it's the first time he has opened his mouth to say anything in two weeks. "
"What?! "
"And I can't believe you made him laugh. Whether it was a sarcastic or genuine laugh, it was still a laugh. "
"What?! "
"Will you just stop asking the same thing M, am sure you heard me clearly. "

I just keep staring at Kyle trying to process what he said,and he just stares at me with that smile of his, not leaving his face.

****
Thank you so much for reading.
Please vote and comment.