Volturi

Caroline POV

We all settled in the flight with me sitting next to Klaus. We were in the first class which was a new experience for me since I had never travelled in first class. It was a lot more spacious, comfortable and a lot less people. I saw where Kol and Elijah were sitting together; Sam and Jacob were sitting across the aisle, while Bonnie and Damon were sitting next to each other. I was going to sit with her, but Damon got there first and it was no use arguing with him so I sat with Klaus.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we will be taking off soon, please fasten your seatbelts, thank you for travelling with us." I heard a flight attendant say, and did as I was told.Soon, we had taken off and I undid my seatbelt and saw Klaus doing the same. I had felt something inexplicable in my heart when I saw that Damon had opted to sit with Bonnie, but that feeling had instantly disappeared when I heard that Bonnie threatened to give Damon one of her aneurisms if he bothered her at all and had gone to sleep. I had no idea how much money Klaus had spent, how many people he had compelled and how many favors he had called in to get tickets to Italy for the very same night. Yes, it had been around eight hours since Bella, Elena and Rebekah had been kidnapped and Klaus had pulled some strings due to which we were now on our way to Volterra.

"What is the ritual about?" I asked Klaus and was aware that almost every single supernatural being was now eavesdropping on our conversation, well future conversation.

"What do you mean, 'what is it about'?" He answered my question with a question.

"I mean how is it done, why are all three of them needed?" He took a deep, unnecessary breath before answering me. What I heard after that had left me dumbfounded and honestly, scared as hell.

"Esther will do a spell to connect me and Bella". He said, but before he could go any further, I interrupted him.

"But how is that harmful? Bonnie's cousin had once connected Elena and Katherine to save Katherine from being killed by Damon and Stefan".

"It's harmful because it's no ordinary connection spell. Bella and I are mates, the spell is more powerful and difficult and it usually depends on our proximity, the closer we are, the easier it is. But, because we are mates, we can't be killed that easily so in order to kill the two of us, one of us has to drink something which will automatically enter the others system."

"But how? I mean, it makes no sense."

"Yes it does Caroline, we are connected so when one drinks it, it enters the others system".

"But you have to drink it to be connected".

"No, Caroline, we have to drink it so that we can be killed, we're already connected".

"Oh."

"The thing one of us has to drink is blood".

"Obviously".

"The blood of an original vampire and of a vampire doppelganger".

"Rebekah and Elena".

"Yes. After that Esther will kill Bella, so that I will die, wherever I am".

"Isn't there a way to stop it, a loophole?" I asked, turning my entire body so that I was facing Klaus.

"Yes, either we stop her before she makes Bella drink Elena and Rebekahs blood or one of us die before Bella drinks the blood". He said, although he looked emotionless, I could see the pain in his eyes. Pain, Nicklaus Mikealson, thousand year old original vampire was in pain, and there was only one reason he was in pain. When you remove the impossible, however improbable, it must be the truth. A quote by Sherlock Holmes and I had finally understood what it meant.

"You're in love with her". I stated both of us knew who I was talking about. He stayed silent for a minute and I wondered I had crossed my boundaries.

"Yes, I am". He stated simply and I could see it in his eyes, he really was in love with Bella, and it made me envy her. Not because I wanted Klaus or I loved him, I didn't, just because no one had ever looked at me with so much intensity and love as Klaus had in his eyes at just the mention of her name, I wanted someone to just look at me like that.

"She's lucky. And I hope she sees that". I have never been more truthful, more honest with Klaus as I say it.

"No, I am. Lucky, I mean". He says seeing the confusion written on my face.

"I just hope she can see past the monster that I am".

"She will and you're right, you are a monster, but I'm sure she'll still love you because somewhere deeeeeep down, there is a heart, at least for her".

"Yes there is. But it isn't as deep as you think Caroline. Really, love you wound me with your words". He replied, placing his hand where his heart is supposed to be and I burst into laughter. I saw some of the passengers giving me weird looks, but I just ignored them as I got my laugh under control."If I had known it was so easy to wound you, we wouldn't have gone through all the trouble to find a white oak stake". I said and he smiled."She'll be fine; we'll get there in time and save her". I said, all humor leaving my eyes.

"Hopefully".

"Klaus?"

"What now, Caroline?"

"Why didn't you bring Rachel as bait?"

"Because I'm not as much of a monster as you think I am. I compelled her to run as soon as we leave and never contact me again although she can contact Stefan and Damon".

"You let her go". I said disbelievingly.

"No, I gave her a head start, when I find her, I will kill her". He said.

"Ugh, and here I was thinking you had a heart".

"She betrayed me Caroline".

"How?"

"She said she was in love with me, that she wouldn't leave me until the day she died, but she did leave and now she will pay the price". My anger rose at how unfair Klaus was being, but instead of fighting with him, I just closed my eyes and tried to sleep. This was Bella's problem now.

Rebekah POV

I opened my eyes but I couldn't see anything, I touched my eyes to make sure they were open, they were, yet I couldn't see anything. So I concentrated hard and learnt, to my great annoyance, that I couldn't hear anything either.But I could feel and I did feel something, I felt a sharp pain in my hand, I lifted it up to my eyes, still not being able to see anything, so I touched it with my left hand and felt a thick liquid, blood. Someone was drawing blood from me and there was only one person who would do that. Esther. But why? She had started the ritual.

Klaus POV

The realization of my love for Bella and it's confession had made things all the more critical. Elijah and I both knew what had to be done and he would do it, should the condition arise. As of now Elena didn't have the white oak stake, it was with me and if required to save her life, the live of the woman I'm in love with, that stake will go through my heart no matter how many people it kills.