chapter fifteen

1 YEAR LATER

"Sade baby.. How are you feeling?" A soft voice invades my ear and I hear the bedroom door close softly.

I turn around to see my mother standing with her arms crossed at her stomach. Her body covered by a long black gown that was see through in certain places. I was almost pissed that my mom could look as good as she did going to a funeral.

"I'm fine

"I'm fine.. Where's Don and Aaliyah?" I ask wiping my fallen tears.

"They're eating, I told Don I was gonna come grab you. Look-"

"Mom whatever sad inspirational words you're gonna say, please don't say them." I quickly stand up from my chair and sniffle a bit. "I'm just.. tired of crying and listening to everyone attempt to put themselves in my shoes. But, they can't because nobody has ever had to watch their child die." I find myself back on my bed with my face in my hands. Tears falling down my cheeks and into my sweaty palms.

Momma sits down next to me and rubs my back. "Baby, I don't know how many times I gotta tell you this but, this was not your fault."

"Yes-i-it was."

"Sade no it wasn't.."

"Yes it was!" I argued shooting off of the bed.

"NO IT WASN'T!" Momma grabbed my chin with one hand and stared me into the eyes. Her voice was stern like a bullet, but her words were meant with love not anger. "Sade you are a woman now, a wife, a MOTHER of two children. One is a beautiful baby girl who's alive and the other one.. we just had to bury." Momma swallowed her saliva and took a deep breath. "Sade, do not blame yourself for something you had no control over. Okay, just promise me you won't blame yourself baby girl.."

I nod my head and wipe my fallen tears, "I-I promise momma." I agree softly.

She smiles gently and runs her hand over my silky hair. "That's better.."

KNOCK.KNOCK.KNOCK.

"Come in." I approved sitting down on the bed.

The door opens and Don walks in with our daughter, Aaliyah on his hip and a piece of banana pudding on a plate in his open hand.