chapter ten

5 days  l a t e r

"This doesn't really look like an, 'intimate, quiet, dinner' is this what you wanted?" Dad asked as he touched my shoulder softly

I look down at my and then back up at him, "Yeah, it'll do..." My lips form into a small, softer smile in response. "Do you think she'll show up?"

"Sade.. I don't know.. She's very upset with you."

"Yeah, but she's my mom and she's been there for me when you weren't. She knows how I feel when someone important doesn't-"

"Yes, she does, she does know. I think that this is something that she's gotta get used to." I frown and think as my father points to me and then to Don's empty seat when he said the word "this".

My birthday is a very important day to me, as well as other holidays, but I just really wanted my mom to be here. When my dad actually showed up, it was supposed to be the icing on the cake. But, the cake wasn't even there and my mom wasn't either.

Everyone else took the news about Don and I, very well, I thought. There a few people who cut me off: Blair, Justine, my mom, and the list goes on.. But, regardless of how they feel about my decision to get married and about me moving to London, I told them that they need to respect my decision.

"Well, if she doesn't come, then I apologize on her behalf." My dad said softly grabbing my hand.

I smile and nod my head slowly, "Okay.." I respond. "Um, I'm gonna go to the bathroom."

Slowly, I arise from my seat and walk towards the bathroom. When I turn around the corner, I see Don leaning against the wall and talking on the phone.

"Well, I love you

"Well, I love you. I gotta go, my wife's standing in front of me with her arms crossed."

I shook my head with a small smile on my face as Don hung up his phone. He placed it in his pocket.

"Who was that?" I asked leaning up against the wall.

"Oh, it was my brother. He called to me, to tell you 'Happy Birthday' and to give me some marriage advice." Don and I both laughed at the last part.