Membrane

Eddie

The more they looked for Bill's younger brother Georgie, the more Eddie's heart began to break. It was early November and Georgie had been missing for a month now and Bill was beginning to grow desperate. They had been searching for his younger brother every day since he first went missing. After school, sometimes even before school, on weekends, whenever they could. Eddie prayed Georgie would turn up soon.

"Hey Eds, what's gotten your panties in a twist?" A voice echoed through his thoughts, grasping him in its hand and pulling him back into reality. He turned in the direction of the voice and saw his friend Richie staring back at him through thick-rimmed, oversized glasses that made his dark brown eyes appear much bigger than they were.

Ignoring his friend's question, Eddie retorted, "For fuck's sake Richie can you stop calling me that?"

A grin almost as big as his glasses appeared on Richie's face, "No can do buddy, you'll always be Eds to me."

"Are you guys going to stop dawdling or what?" Bill's twin sister, Cassie called out.

"Coming your highness!" Richie called back playfully.

The two scrambled further into the forest until they saw a small girl with a face glittered with freckles glaring back at them.

"Ah Miss Denbrough! You're a sight for sore eyes!" Richie grinned with a terrible British accent in tow.

Eddie glared at his friend, "Can you shut the fuck up with that accent? It's terrible!"

Cassie rolled her eyes, "Come on guys, we've gotta help Bill."

Eddie was about to walk towards her when he saw something glisten out of the corner of his eye. He turned to see something glittering within the tree, and he glanced back at his friends, "Hey guys, I think there's something in that tree."

The small boy began to slowly walk to it. A tiny, pale hand landed on his shoulder before he could walk any further. He turned around to see Cassie looking at him with large green eyes.

"Let us go get Stan and Bill first before we do anything. I don't want anybody else splitting apart from the group." She said as she took her hand off his shoulder.

Eddie nodded. He could see where she was coming after all, after having Georgie being all alone when he had disappeared. It would tear Bill's and her own heart in half if Eddie did something stupid and ended up bearing the consequences because of it.

She yelled out, "Bill! Stan! Come back for a second!"

A tall, pale boy with eyes the same colour as hers, appeared a minute later along with a young boy behind him with hair that curled down to his forehead.

"I-Is everything alr-r-right Cassie?" The taller one questioned.

Richie blurted and pointed to behind him, "Eddie's going crazy and said there is something in that tree."

"Richie, please stop stirring Eddie up." Cassie sighed.

The taller boy turned to Eddie, "Wuh-What is it?"

Eddie shrugged, "Don't know Bill, it just seems like something's sparkling in the tree."

Bill looked over their shoulders, eyes furrowing with intrigue, "Let's go luh-look then,"

The four of them began to walk towards the tree when the fifth one, the curly haired boy called out. "Are you sure this is a good idea guys? You could just be seeing things, Eddie."

"I can see it and the sooner we find out what it is, the better. Come on Stan." Cassie replied.

Stan ran to catch up to them just as Eddie grew close to the tree. He began to peel back bits of soft, wet bark that crumbled within his hands. Within seconds there was a gaping hole within the tree, covered by a sticky, silvery membrane that appeared to have the consistency of slime. It glittered more strongly now, beaming strong torrents of sunshine into Eddie's eyes and he winced.

And that smell, oh God that smell. He obviously couldn't smell it from far away but the closer they got to it, the more he nearly gagged. It smelt like a cat had taken a shit in it and died halfway through it. He could feel acidic bile climbing up his throat and nearly threw up his lunch because of it.

"What the fuck?" Richie muttered underneath his breath.

"R-Richie, where's your fla-fla-flashlight?" Bill asked.

Richie pulled off his backpack, fished out his flashlight and gave it to Bill. Bill clicked on the flashlight and began reaching towards the membrane.

"Are fucking insane Bill? Don't touch that shit!" Stan warned.

"I-I'll be safe, I pro-" Within seconds Bill was pulled viciously into the membrane. Leaving his friends and sister screaming his name.