Twenty Six

Jun

"You need to fill out this form, sign here and you can pay at the desk over there." The nurse handed me some papers, pointed at a desk with a never ending queue and then handed another sheet to me. "These are the list of medicines you need to buy." She added.

"Thank you." I forced a smile at her and closed my eyes when she turned around. I hadn't eaten anything all afternoon and I could already feel a head ache kicking in. I somehow dragged my legs till the pharmacy and bought everything that was prescribed.

Mom had this illness for a very long time, but it was only recently that her condition kept worsening. The doctor told us that they were going to try their best, but that wasn't enough for me. I wanted them to tell me it was nothing and that she would definitely be okay in a few days, but they would always just look at me with helpless eyes. I wanted to stay beside mom the whole time, but if she saw me sad, tired and worried like this, it would only make her feel worse.

I decided to take a shower before heading over to Mr. Kang's cafe to meet Sarang. No matter what she said, I knew she would always feel the same way about me. She had nowhere else to go. There was no one that understood or accepted her, just as me. We only had each other. Sarang was the only person in this world that didn't hate me or get scared of me because of my nature. She was aggressive and sometimes very childish, but she was also the only person except mom that really cared about me.

I wanted to see her.

I left my car at home because there's very little parking space around Beans N' Cream cafe. On my way, I picked up her favourite chocolate bars so I could give her a little surprise. My hands tightened into fists and crushed the chocolates when I saw Sarang and the boy I saw in her apartment the other day talking on the sidewalk. They were standing close to each other and I couldn't stand it because Sarang looked comfortable with it. I'd had enough when he suddenly grabbed her hand. I walked in their direction and pulled Sarang away from him.

"...so we can help. You and Jun." That is all I heard him say. How dare he speak to her that way? Did he have a death wish? And who asked for this bastard's help anyway?

When Sarang took his side and introduced him as her boyfriend, I felt something in me tear apart. I really wanted it to be my calm facade so I could beat the crap out of this guy, but Sarang was already slipping away from me. It would only take so much for her to completely fall on his side. Now that I think about it, this was a good opportunity to teach Sarang a lesson. If this guy broke her heart, there's no doubt she'd have to come back to me. After that, I'll make her realize how difficult it is to have me back and what it is like to be all alone. Then I bet she'd never even think of leaving.

I pretended to be nice and left them alone before heading back home. Our fancy and spacious home that mom had worked so hard to build was now quiet and empty. My father left mom even before I was born, so I never knew what he was like. If something happened to mom, how would I live in this big home all by myself? It had always been just the two of us because Sarang wasn't around anymore when I went to Japan, but I wasn't lonely. Mom always made me happy with her light and carefree laughs. She hadn't spoken to me in hours and she hadn't laughed in weeks. All she says is she's in pain and tired. I shook my head and packed home cooked food for her before leaving. I was relieved to see her awake when I reached the hospital. She cracked a smile upon seeing me, but it looked forced. She asked me to stop worrying and go home because she was going to be discharged tomorrow anyway.

Right outside the exit, I saw a girl and boy around my age bickering slightly louder than what I'd consider polite. "Maeji, I have a really important quiz tomorrow. Why won't you just let me go?!" The red haired guy suddenly burst out, causing me to flinch.