Seventeen

It was so sudden, all those memories just came gushing back into my mind without any sort of warning. I didn't realize I had been staring at our picture for too long, until I heard that familiar voice behind me.

"Why aren't you with your group?" The voice snapped me back to reality, making me flinch due to his sudden appearance. I put my phone back into my pocket and stood up to go ahead with him. Finally, I can assure that I won't die alone in this forest.

"Why aren't you with your group?" I retorted.

Xiumin is so similar, yet so different from Jun. He is everything I like, yet everything I can't stand. If I find myself thinking of him as a cup of hot chocolate one minute, the very next, he proves me wrong by turning into a shot of alcohol. Why is he so warm sometimes, but threatens to burn me later? Is it even his fault? Or do I just assume way too much?

"Our group was passing by and I noticed you were sitting here alone. Where are Haru and Chanyeol?" Xiumin asked, carefully sliding out a dry leaf from my hair. He brushed off the dust from my shoulders and from the sleeve of my shirt before his gaze landed on my shoes. "You'll trip and fall down at this rate, Sarang." He shook his head before sitting down on one knee, his fingers swiftly tying my shoe lace into a firm knot. When he stood back up, I was already swallowing hard to hide the lump forming in my throat. Why does he always find me when I'd rather be alone? Just a minute ago, I was perfectly fine and here I am now, tangled up in my own emotions.

My lips trembled as I tried to speak. "Go a-away." I managed to say.

Xiumin didn't look like he was leaving any time soon. "Sarang? What's wrong?" He asked, his eyes filled with concern. "Did something happen?" I closed my eyes so the tears that had already formed, wouldn't escape for him to see. He must really think I'm pathetic for crying like this all the time.

I turned around when the tears were too heavy for my eyes to hold back. I'm not this weak, I won't cry here, not in front of him. So once again, I chose to run. If you can't solve a problem, just get away from it because looking for a solution is too bothersome. The ground was sloppy since we were walking uphill and the wet soil was a little slippery, so it was no wonder I fell against the tiny rocks causing scrapes and bruises on my ankle.

Xiumin looked like he was mentally face palming at my actions as he rushed to examine my injuries. "It's so difficult to read you." He shook his head. He probably lied when he said that because if he can't read me, then who can? Who will? I just sat down on the ground, unwilling to compose myself again. And then, I screamed.

"Do you feel better now?" Xiumin asked when I stopped, tears dripping down my chin.

I looked at him like he was crazy. "How can you still be here? Leave!" I yelled.

"Why?"

"Don't you see? It's all so messed up. I'm so messed up. It's- I-" My words were irregular, my breathing ragged, my lips and fingers trembling and coated with a layer of sweat.

"We're all a little messed up in our own ways. Whatever it is, I'm willing to listen." His voice didn't waver, eyebrows never furrowed. It was all okay with him. It was scary how I couldn't scare him away.

"I don't want to tell you."

"I'm okay with just staying here and looking at you."

"I don't want you to look at me while I'm crying."

"So, should I turn around?"

"Go away!"

"No."

He used his fingers to brush my hair back as I wiped my tears on the sleeve of my shirt. Neither of us had a handkerchief.