Sixteen

Third wheeling. I hadn't experienced anything like it before and that was probably because Young Mi didn't have the time to date anyone and I wasn't really on good terms with people other than her. I was grouped with Haru and Chanyeol and I shit you not, they're the most cringe worthy couple I've ever noticed. I'm not trying to say that Chanyeol is rude or that he's ignorant, it's just that he's really... dumb.

"Haru-ya, are you tired?" Chanyeol asked when we weren't even half way through our trek. She blushed and I mentally threw up. Can they stop being like this?

"No, I'm okay." Haru said in that soft voice of hers. In all honesty, I know Haru is the type of person that makes you want to protect her, but I'm here too and them being like this makes me really uncomfortable.

"Do your feet hurt, baby?" Chanyeol asked, his gaze shifting towards her very normal looking two shoes. My feet hurt too, isn't anyone going to ask me?

"Actually-" I started, hoping to get their attention, but to no avail. I cleared my throat, but it was as if I was invisible to both of them.

Should I be glad I wasn't forced into a dinner with the two of them or I'd have to witness something along the lines of Chanyeol saying, "Haru-ya, say ahh" and stuff food into her mouth before she'd blush and chew on it. Is this what couples are generally like?

Why weren't we like this then?

Chanyeol tugged some strands of her hair behind her ear and that was my cue. I'd had enough. I ran away. Literally.

I don't really care about what they thought of me or the fact that they're going to label me a weird person now. If I stayed and watched them behave that way any longer, I might've ended up crying.

I walked around aimlessly, hoping to find someone I knew or someone that could lead me back to the start or at the camping site on top of the hill. There was no human in sight and my dumb ass forgot to take the map from Chanyeol because he was the one guiding our way ahead. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out, only to reveal an incoming call from Jun again. I can't compete with his level of stubbornness. He never stops unless he gets what he wants, so I decided to talk to him and finish this once and for all.

Easier said than done.

Will you believe it? A person like me, that claims to be strong and doesn't like to accept defeat finds her fingers trembling before she receives a call. A mere phone call from someone she knows. I closed my eyes and swiped the green icon.

"Sarang." I heard his voice. That mellow, honey-dripping voice I missed for so long. "Why are you pushing me away like this?" He asked.
"I- You're not- Th-" Words had temporarily left me. There was a huge lump in my throat, some blockage in my brain and a boulder weighing down on my heart. It was all so heavy, so suffocating and pressurizing, I didn't know what to say to him. Why couldn't I just ask him to go away?

"I come all the way to Seoul to meet you, only to find out that you're away." He sounded so tired, so alone. "Was it me? Was I the problem? I'll change, I'll be whatever you want me to be. Just, don't ghost me like this." Jun added. Every word from the other line made my head spin. How do I respond to him? Why is it so easy for him to bring out this vulnerable side of mine that I don't want to let anyone see. When I didn't choose to talk for a long time, I heard him sigh on the other line. "When are you coming back?" He asked.

"2nd January."

"Do you want to meet at our usual place?" He was referring to our school rooftop. It had been two years since he graduated, but it was still our usual hangout.

"Uncle will be really mad if he finds out." I pointed out.

"Mr. Kang's opinion doesn't matter to me. Do you want to see me again?" Did I? "We could just see each other as friends at least. I don't want those nine years of our friendship to just fade away like that."