Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

I sat nervously on top of examining table, letting my feet swing back and hit the underneath cabinets with the heels of my feet. It made me feel like a little kid again, getting my first checkup, nervous that the doctor will find soemthing bad. I hadn't been in the hospital in forever, and I can tell you now that I was not a big fan on them.

The doctor has been gone for a while now, and the longer he was gone, my heart began to beat faster and faster. What was it? What was wrong with me that the doctor was taking forever to come back? I sighed and pulled my phone out and saw that I had a couple of texts from Stephan asking what was going on. Right as I was going to text back the doctor comes in through the door, making me shove my phone back into my pocket-get timing doc.

"Well the good news is that you have an upset stomach from high levels of stress," the doctors said as he goes to sit down on one of those swivel stools and scoots over to me, "your glucose number was up and your body has a high amount of cortisol in it. We suggest you take these next few days off to relax and distress."

I let go of the breath that I was holding in ever since he walked into the room, "You said that was the good news, okay, well what about the bad news?" I asked quietly, not sure if I wanted to hear what the bad news had the offer, but I knew I had to ask.

"Um," The doctor scratched the back of his head nervously and looked down at his clipboard for comfort before returning his gaze to look at me, "We looked at your file, and you haven't been in for a checkup in a long time-so we took your blood, as you know, and tested it. We found signs of malignant neoplasm matter in your system."

"Malignant neopl-wait, isn't that cancer?" I clenched my jaw, my heart beginning to pick up speed again in my chest, "I have fucking cancer inside me?"

"We found signs, we would have to do further examination to see where it's coming from, to see if we can remove it or not." The doctor looked up with an apologetic stare, but in all reality he didn't care if I died or not. Sure it was his job to empathize with the patients, but to them I was another patient. I clenched my hands together and stared down at my feet.

"F-fine," I stuttered, honestly shocked at the whole 'bad news' thing, "Check it out, do whatever you doctors do."

Everything just began to blend together: being rolled on a gurney to the examination room, a doctor giving me some sort of relaxant as the touched my body with multiple things, they put my through an X-ray machine and they took more blood samples. Sometime during the testing I began to feel drowsy, and my eyes began to get heavy and I fell asleep.

I woke up later, hooked up to an IV, and honestly I was scared shitless because I thought that the whole cancer thing was just some sick, twisted nightmare, and I was going to wake up back in my head, sad from the whole Anthony thing.

A doctor that I didn't recognize came into the room, smiling down at me sadly, "Glad you're up, you've been asleep for a couple hours." I looked around and spotted the clock, it was three in the afternoon. I bet everyone would be wondering where I was right about now, but Stephan promised not to tell.

"So, did you guys find out where..." I drifted a little, my mouth super dry, so it came out more hoarse. I wetted my mouth and sat up, "Can they remove it?"

"Fortunately we did find it and the cause of it," the doctor looked down at his clipboard and pulled up a chair to the side of my bed, "but unfortunately, it's a rare disease, and we don't know if it's... curable."