chapter 43

"Lucas!"

The minute I was pulled from under the table, it was immediately pushed off to the side with immense force as Lucas looked at who had me in their clutches.

"Lucas..." I whispered.

I watched his restless, anger filled black eyes land on me as they turned to the soft green eyes that I was so accustomed to.

I felt cool metal press against my temple, a whimper left my lips as the person behind me grabbed onto my hair tighter.

"Let her go." Were the simple words Lucas said, but those three words containing such power and anger, it felt as if I was on the receiving end of it.

I heard the gun click, as Lucas stepped closer. "Wouldn't do that if I were you." The man behind me said, and I knew immediately who it was. "This is what we are going to do though, very simple-" His gun started trailing down my temple and landed at my cheek. "You let us leave, and I pinky promise to not kill your mate." He joked.

"Us?" Lucas repeated, I felt the mans body around me grow stiff and cold. "You're not the only one... how many of you are here?" He said while taking a bold step forward, the action causing a tear to fall from my eye.

"Stay back, or you'll be cleaning your mates brain matter off the walls for weeks!" He threatened, pushing the gun harder into my head.

I made no effort to move. Too scared he would shoot me for even breathing, so instead I glanced around there was no one left in the hall. They all must've fled during the entire chaos. I shifted my gaze to Lucas who was already staring at me, his own expression hard to read. But his eyes telling the story of how conflicted he was.

"How did you escape?" Lucas asked, this time taking a step back. Causing ease to the man.

He shrugged. "I have my friends." Was his simple answer.

"Is your friend the one standing behind you with their own gun pointed at your head?" The man quickly turned around, the hold on me growing loose, Lucas took his slight lack of attention in his advantage and wrapped his hand around my arm, pulling me towards him.

The man, now feeling the absence of my body quickly turned to face us when he realized that there was, in fact, no one standing behind him with a gun. He stuck his own hand out and grabbed the pearl necklace wrapped securely around my neck and pulled me close to him, but the force of what Lucas was already pulling me towards outweighed the blue eyes man's. Causing the pearl balls to break off the string and explode all around us. The scene happened to pass by as if time was encased in a jar of jelly. The flying beads resembled snow almost- almost giving the scene a serene image. But that very image was shattered by the sound of the man's yells. The last few seconds I was able to see before Lucas shielded my body with his, pushing me soundly against his chest as my tears refused to fall, was the man aiming the gun straight at our huddled masses. My body comprehended what was going to happen before I could, shutting my eyes as I prepared for the inevitable gunshot that would send a bullet flying our way.

Complete silence ensued for mere seconds before we heard the panicked grunt from him, Lucas turned, allowing a slight view of what was happening. The gun was jammed, he still had it pointed at us but no bullet was coming out, no matter how hard he pulled the trigger. In a moment of fear, the man threw the gun on the floor, and pivoted on his heel, running over the beads scattered amongst the wooden floor of the hall. He ran until he was out of view and I stepped out behind Lucas, who was frozen with his eyes distant. He was mind linking someone.

I dropped to my knees, the sound of it reverberated throughout the empty room, with my shaking hands I frantically grabbed the pearls on the floor, collecting them each in my hand, while sniffling. I felt Lucas drop down next to me and pull me to him.

"Leave it." He whispered and I shook my head against him.

"No, no! These- these are your mothers, and I-I broke them!" I hadn't even realized the tears that fell down my eyes until Lucas brushed them away with the pad of his thumb. "I'm so sorry!" I wailed into his chest.

He shushed me as he rubbed my back. "Dawn..." His voice cracked. "There's nothing for you to be sorry for."

He was right, maybe it had been that I was in shock. That I couldn't take in the situation that caused my sentiments. So I lay there next to him, surrounded by pearls and dinnerware that had fallen from tables, just- surrounded by mess.

My mind wandered off towards the day my father attacked me in Mandy's apartment, and how I was in the same position as I was in only a few weeks prior, resulting in strangled sobs to escape my throat. "No more, Lucas." I pleaded. "I never want to relive this ever again." I looked up at him and took in his own tear-stained cheeks. I didn't even know he was crying.

"I almost... you almost..." Lucas was at a loss for words. He cleared his throat and stopped rubbing my back to wipe his cheeks. "I'll do everything in my power, everything and anything to make sure that this will never happen again."

I simply nodded, wiping my own tears. We stayed in our position, un-moving for a while.

I kept my gaze on Lucas the entire time, twiddling a pearl in my hand. I watched as his eyes turned hazy again quickly sit up straighter. I felt him come back, his mouth had dropped wide open.

I pushed myself off him and he immediately got up, "Lucas?"

His teary eyes, telling me a story I didn't want to hear.

"It's Zeke..."

♥♥♥

So what did yall think of this chapter??

Just kidding!!! KEEP READING

Lucas held my hand as we entered the hospital, pushing past people as we made our way to Zeke's hospital room. Lucas had his eyes set forward while I looked around, there were a couple pack members here. Some with minor injuries lining the waiting room. All of them bowed and sent sympathetic nods towards our fast moving forms.

"Alpha!" I made eye contact with the person who spoke, standing a few feet in front of us was a middle-aged woman, her blue scrubs littered with deep dark stains of blood. I pushed down the urge to throw up on the linoleum. "Alpha, right this way!" She said as we caught up to her.

She led us to a room, having a nurse hold the door open for the three of us to enter the hospital room. My eyes immediately sank down to Zeke.

He was laid out on the bed, drips connected to his veins. His face glistened with the sweat that soaked his clammy, gray face. I brought my free hand up and stifled a gasp. He looked, dead.

".... gunshot wound...." I heard the Doctor inform Lucas, as I let him go and walked towards Zeke. "... only a few inches from his heart...." I sat down on the chair placed next to his bed. "...missed any major blood vessels..." I slid my hand into his, intertwining our fingers.

"Will he be alright?" I asked, my hoarse voice quieting the entire room, the only other sound was the steady heartbeat of Zeke, causing my aching heart some relief.

The Doctor didn't speak for a moment, causing me to turn to face her. "If he continues the healing process, as he is now, there's no reason why he shouldn't." I let out a sigh.

"Thank you, Doctor." Lucas told her, his eyes filled with pity at Zeke's unconscious figure.

She nodded, "I'll let you know if there are any changes."

I heard her turn and leave, the door closing softly behind her. Lucas walked up behind me, standing behind the chair, he rested his hand on my bare shoulder. I brought my hand up and squeezed reassuringly.

"A real happy birthday..."

*me turning off my nottifications, because im scared of everyone whose mad at me for hurting bb boy zeke.*

not saying it's gonna get better, but i know one of my readers is going to be heartbroken over the next chapter. i'm gonna say sorry in advance too! he was one of my favorite characters also... : ( not saying who though, yall will just have to wait.