chapter 38

quick question.... does anyone even listen to the songs i add up above? bc it gets difficult to find new songs all the time and so if no one listens i can stop adding them. ALSO if this is the contrary- comment songs you'd want me to use!!

Dawns POV:

         "Wow." I breathed out, completely taken in shock. I stood face to face with the most intricate fountain I've ever had the luxury of setting my eyes upon. The water was frozen in place, and little specks of snow glistened through the ice.  I looked down to the base of it and watched as the vines and greenery adorned the white marble like a necklace. I glanced past the fountain and took in the plants around us, they were just shrubs with a layer of snow on top, no surprise- the flowers must've all died from the cold.

        Lucas sat down on the ledge of the fountain and watched my reaction, "Beautiful, isn't it?" I cast my eyes down to him, which were already watching mine. I sat down next to him after pushing away the thing layer of snow that had accumulated on the surface.

      "Very..." I responded back.

       I felt his soft gaze on me as I kept looking around, trying to take in the beauty of the fountain I was sitting on.

        "Well, I brought you out here for a reason." He said and I nodded back at him.

         "What was the reason?"

         He seemed apprehensive about asking but managed to pull through. "I'm not versed in psychology but... I just have to ask because, well. I'm concerned. Why are you so calm after all that's happened?"

         His question shocked me, and I had to look away from him to ponder why exactly I seemed so okay and strangely happy? Even though my worst nightmare had occurred only a day ago. "I don't know..." I whispered and his face turned from stoic to sympathetic. "I just- I think I've spent so much time in my life worrying about when that would happen that now that it did. I'm just not fazed by it anymore."

        He merely nodded, taking in all my words as he drafted his next response. "Dawn... I know you told me to lay off of the subject but- who was he? Because I don't like the idea that's being formed as to figure out the puzzle your past was."

        "Why do you want to know?" I asked.

        "You're my mate. It's in me to keep you safe."

        I looked his face over, I bit my lip as I mulled it over. Should I tell him? Could I tell him?

        "That was my dad." I got out surprisingly easily. He didn't look shocked, probably since that was what he had figured out. "He... did unfathomable things to me." I continued as Lucas gave me his utmost attention. "One day I realized I couldn't stay there anymore. So I left. Bought the first ticket to New York and then according to your story... you found me a year later."

      "16?" He whispered incredulously. "You were only 16 when you left?" I nodded, he unfolded his hands and reached over to grab mine. We didn't say anything for a while until he asked, "Did he do that to your body?" My lack of response told him he was correct and I felt his grip slightly tighten but immediately loosened when he realized what he was doing. "Dawn?"

      I shook my head at a speed I didn't know I was capable of. "No," I spoke out quickly. "No, I don't wanna talk about that."

      Sensing my panicked tone he immediately dropped the question. "Hey, hey it's okay. We don't have to." He rubbed my knuckles with his thumb as he watched my face relax. "How about we go inside? It is getting quite cold out here." I nodded, not saying anything. A tight smile appeared on his face as he got up and then helped me. We walked back through the path we came in from, our old footprints still fresh in the snow.