chapter 9

I crossed my arms while I stood there staring at him, did he really think we were soulmates? Did he really believe soulmates were real?

"I-" I started, "You can't possibly believe that soul mates are real," I said looking at him incredulously.

He took one step forward, he stood tall in front of me. I had to crane my neck to look up at him, he was only a half a step away from touching me, his minty breath fanning on my face as he looked down at me.

He dryly chuckled, and after a moment of silence, he said. "Humans truly are pesky creatures..." his eyes traveled down to different parts of my face. Never resting in one place.

I knitted my eyebrows together, obviously, this wasn't real, certainly, this was all a dream, nothing about what was happening was being processed in my head.

"No." I stated. "They don't exist."

His emerald eyes pierced into my soul, they seemed to be dissecting me. Bit by bit.

At a speed, I could not fathom he approached me. His forearm pulling me closer to his chest, I knew I should've pushed him off but at that moment the simple touch had my brain melting.

He had his arms wrapped around my waist, each passing second his grip getting tighter and tighter.

He leaned in closing the gap between us, his eyes never hesitating from my lips. He inched closer and closer. His minty breath now fanning out on my face. He licked his lips before looking into my own eyes again, and with a smirk, he swooped his head down.

I prepared for the kiss but it never came, he came in and swiped his head to the side. Rubbing his cheek with my own, the soft stubble scratching my skin as he moved to my ear. While he lifted one finger to trace a pattern on my cheek, leaving me to gasp when his cool finger met my burning skin.

"You claim you don't believe in soulmates... but you so clearly feel the pull."

He leaned in, still with keeping his finger on my cheek, my heart thumping in my chest. Why wasn't I pushing him away? "How do you know that that man?" His hand opened up so he was cupping my face with his right hand.

This again.

I fidgeted. "Why do you care?" I asked, looking anywhere but his eyes.

He stiffened, and after a moment he spoke again, letting his hand drop. "Darling, it's best you tell me before I assume the worst." He asked staring at me.

I looked down straight at the ground. Not answering him once more, I started to play with my fingers, a habit of trying to control my anxiety.

"What would you assume?"

He stepped back, his body's absence was felt and I almost whimpered. I looked up at his eyes which were pained. He took a side step and started walking away from me, his steps getting further away from me. "That you both shared some type of relationship."

The cold sweats came back as I remembered just what that relationship was, Cade's money into my fathers' pockets.

"And if we did..." I whispered, fearing his answer. He had the man locked up right below us, what would he do to me? "What would you do?"

I heard his footsteps halt and I turned to face him, but he's back was to me and his hand rested on the doorknob.

He was quiet, for a bit I thought he wouldn't answer. "You should tell me before I make a decision that would make neither of us happy." He said after a moment.

"You're going to kill me," I whispered, my voice shaking. "Aren't you?"

He stalked his way back to me, "I wouldn't even dare to touch a curl on your head. You need to tell me, or I might have to lock you up as well."

It was too late, I had succumbed to the memories of my past. Images flashing of my father locking me in my room, locking the front door, leaving me to deal with men twice my age. My anger soared, "You have no idea what he did to me!" I whispered before I could control my tongue, "and you'd lock me up just like him?"

I realized what I said before the words had left my mouth. My hand came up to my face as I covered my mouth in shock. My heart dropped down to the pits of my stomach and I knew it was only a while till I would throw up.

He stood there frozen, my words processing in his mind. His body was now slumped and his beautiful eyes drowning in guilt. "What do you mean by that?"

"I-I nothing." I spoke out quickly, "I shouldn't have said anything, you have to let me go." I walked towards the door but he grabbed my hand, immediately causing my body to reject his touch.

"Dawn-"

"No! Just- just, please. Leave me alone!" I pushed out of his grip and he didn't fight me on it.

I pulled open the door and ran down an empty hallway, hit tears fell down my cheeks as my vision blurred. I didn't even see the figure in front of me before I bumped into them resulting in me falling down on my ass.

"I have a cup on, you can't hurt me now!" Spoke the blob.

I glanced up to the owner of the voice, it was the man I socked in the nuts.

Upon looking at my distress his face contorted from a jokingly manner to one of concern.

"What's happened?" He asked, not taking his eyes off me. "Did Lucas do something?"

I peered up at him in confusion, "Lucas?"

He offered me his hand and this time I stared at it for a bit before I took it. His hand ever so slightly tightening to lift me up.

Once settled on my feet I let go of his hand and wiped my face of any tears left.

"Has he not even told you his name yet?" He questioned, to which I shook my head. "Unbelievable.." he scoffed.

I tried pushing past him, My nausea was still very apparent.

I shoved him slightly but he didn't budge. I put my hand over my stomach in an attempt to make it hurt less.

"Yo-" I stopped his sentence before he could get his first word out. I threw up all over his bottom half. I almost fell down but he managed to grab my arm beforehand.

"BRUH" he exclaimed. "My fucking cup!"