chapter 40

Fast footsteps pounded the floor as they neared my room, I awoke from my light slumber and rubbed my eyes groggily before I saw a very panicked Zeke run into my room.

"Dawn!? Are you awake?"

I immediately woke up and followed suit with the same panicked emotions as Zeke, I stopped rubbing my eyes and answered. "What's going on?" I said while getting off the bed to get closer to Zeke. He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards him as we started running out of my room.

"I'll explain when we get to the car, keep your voice down!" He whisper-yelled.

I felt my heart drop, what's so important that has Zeke panicking and not able to tell me right away?

We took the steps two at a time, and he kept with his fast pace and stronghold. If he pulled any harder then I would be sure my arm would be flying off. He quickly opened the front door, I looked up at the sky and saw that it was the early morning hours. The sun was just poking its head from above the top of the tree line of the forest. Zeke unlocked the truck and pushed me towards the passenger seat while he ran towards the driver's seat. I quickly got inside and buckled up, Zeke slammed the car door and turned on the car.

"Zeke." I whimpered, fearing the worst. "What's going on?"

"Its Lucas' birthday." A voice said from the backseat and I turned to see a half-asleep Penny with a fully asleep Mandy laying on her shoulder. My mouth dropped open. "We forgot to buy him something."

"That's all! Zeke with the way you were acting I thought we were about to get murdered." I yelled and he grimaced, I tried to ease my beating heart.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I thought it'd be funny."

I groaned. "Zeke no, don't get sad." I pleaded. "Just don't scare me like that, okay?" And he nodded, a bright smile crept up on his face.

"It was pretty funny though." He tried justifying and Penny's hand came into view and smacked his shoulder, startling Mandy who now was awake. "DON'T HIT THE DRIVER!" Zeke yelled, looking in the rearview mirror, and sending a heated glare towards Penny. We were about to leave the driveway when he stopped the car and turned around and faced Mandy. "Control your woman." Was all he said before he started driving again, resulting in Penny smacking him again. "OW!"

I laughed and I took notice of Mandy's overwhelmed face. "It's too early for this."

We started driving, towards a desolated road. I reached forward and turned on the radio, the station was swarmed with Christmas songs and Zeke belted each one like his life depended on it, forcing the whole lot of us to join in with him.

(I'M sorRRY I CAN'T WAIT TO TYPE THIS ON THE AN BUT LOOK AT ME!! I'M NOT USING FORMAL ENGLISH!!! JDKDFK I'M SORRY IM JUST FEELING REAL PROUD OF MYSELF.)

"Last Christmas, I gave you my heart." We all chanted. The song was over before we knew it and we were pulling up towards the same mall, a part of me wished that Jesse was here. He was my mall buddy.

Zeke slammed the door and bopped his head to the melody of Let it snow while yelling it at the top of his lungs.

"The weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful."

Penny groaned and hit her head against my shoulder, "Someone, dear god- anyone make this man shut the fuck UP!"

Zeke immediately stopped singing, bringing relief to all of our ears. "You shut the fuck up, Grinch."