chapter 26

Zeke and Penny had already left for the ceremony, Dolores informed me when I couldn't find those twins. She and I walked down the stairs slowly, her leg causing her trouble. I didn't mind, the thought of what was to happen tonight left a gaping hole in my chest. When we finally reached the bottom of the stairs that's when Dolores picked the pace up a little.

I slowed her down, "Calm down, we won't be late."

"Yes, we will, the full moon is tonight and lord, its almost midnight!" She said, slightly panicked.

I rolled my eyes. "We have around half an hour, how far away even is the venue?"

"Only a couple minutes walk, " She said and then looked down to her leg. "This old thing slows me down."

"What happened to your leg?" I asked, brushing a strand of hair from my bun out of my eyes.

She was quiet, and I opened up the front door and we were out in the chilly night. I turned my face to look at her, and now she had a small smile on her face. "Nine years back, an American pack invaded. I thought we weren't to worry since we had more wolfs than a few rogue straddlers." She sighed and dropped her gaze from me and up at the moon. "I was so terribly wrong. It was a planned attack from the wolf kingdom in America. The King demanded every able wolf was to fight. So my husband and I along with my daughter's mate signed up. They killed so many of us." She whispered. "My husband was the first causality, and how hard it had hurt, I didn't leave him alone during his last moments. Even had to fight off a wolf by myself! He did some damage, gave me a permanent limp. But that wasn't even the worst of it. The news came that Miriam's mate had died, he had been guarding the castle from the invaders. Along with him, Beta Zeke's mate died also." I nodded, I knew that she died but it was never clarified why. "Then we learned that the Luna had been murdered also. It was only a couple days until the King died of heartbreak." She whispered the last part.

"Both of Lucas' parents are gone?" I questioned. To which she nodded too.

We were walking in the woods now, and I could see the faint glimmer of lights up ahead.

"Now, this is what's going to happen." She quickly changed the subject. "The Alpha is already there. I can only take you so far, so I'll have to leave you in the clearing they've made and find my own seat. He will walk up to you and you will both only look forward, keep your back to everyone. Understand?" I nodded. "Good, it's pretty self-explanatory from there. Alpha will kneel down in front of a high member of his council and there he will be dubbed King."

"Wait, I thought he was already King?" I questioned, slightly growing confused.

"He is, but you aren't queen yet, so he has to do this over again. Usually, the King is dubbed with his mate once he finds her but since the death of his mother and father he had to step into position before."

"Oh," I said simply.

"Good, so then after the Alpha gets up you go down on your own knee, then they'll dub you queen. After that will you turn around, hand in hand with the King, then from there are festivities. But only after the dance, I hope you know how to waltz." She laughed. "Any more questions since we are almost there darling."

I gulped and nodded. "I'm not qualified to be a queen! Aren't you supposed to versed in the art of war or I don't know! I don't know anything, I can't even waltz!" I panicked.

"Oh shut it!" Dolores snapped. "You'll be fine," We were right at the clearing, everyone was already seated and some faced us. There were hundreds of eyes staring back at me.

A horn blasted through the air and all the thousands of people in attendance turned to look at me, and I felt myself getting light headed. Dolores cupped my cheeks in her hands and turned my eyes away from them. "I just know you'll be a wonderful Luna." She whispered, and I smiled in gratitude at her. She took my hand in her own and we waited for Lucas to turn around.