chapter 33

I had thrown the bag of my small belongings over my shoulder, I think I grabbed just about everything. Saying goodbye was the hardest part. Zeke had put on a brave face for the both of us, but Penny couldn't handle doing so. She didn't want to let me go, Zeke had to pull her off me when we realized it was a tactic to keep me here.

The sun was high in the sky and the drive would take a while, I wanted to reach Mandy's apartment before the sunset, now that I knew what lurked around in the dark- I didn't want to stay and find out.

When she had let go I looked at the two siblings, not letting any tears drop. "Please come visit me," I told them while slipping a small note out of my coat pocket. Inside was written Mandy's address and phone number. "Keep this to yourselves please." They nodded and I refrained from embracing the both of them. It would hurt more. Jesse walked over to the side of the truck I was at and opened the door wide open for me.

"Luna." He said, his voice devoid of emotion. But his demeanor said another story. I just nodded and smiled at him, I stepped into the warm interior and rolled the window down not even a second after Jesse closed it behind me. He jogged over to the front of the car and buckled himself in. I looked out of the window and saw Zeke and Penny's huddled figures follow the car as to make sure the few steps they took in my direction would promise my safety. I smiled at their adorable action.

I couldn't help but feel as if something was missing, and I knew exactly what that something was. The car started to move forward faster and I turned my head towards the castle. My eyes roamed the trees, to the ivy covering the walls to the grand stairs that led to the front door, where I saw two bodies standing upon. To the front door, the metal spirals that adorned the glass doors. My eyes involuntarily shifted to a certain window, it was like they were transfixed, but I didn't let go of the sight of a small breeze pushing past the curtains. As if the universe was watching, a gust of wind blew through the window resulting in the curtain flying back and revealing two bright green lights looking straight to my eyes.

I felt my breath hitch as I watched Lucas watch me, I felt the words form on my lips. 'Stop the car. I can't leave.' But I held them in, I had to leave.

It hurt to tear my eyes away from him, and my eyes instantly wet when I turned.

'Goodbye Lucas.' I mind linked him. It was like a need to tell him, and I instantly regretted it.

'This isn't goodbye Dawn.' He responded back. 'S'il te plaît, tourne-toi.'

(Please, turn around.)

I felt my blood boil, 'Au moins aie le courage de le dire en anglais.' I snapped back. Not caring if this was how he found out that I lied about not being able to speak French.

(at least have the courage to say it in English.)

I closed my mind, no longer wishing to hear him speak anymore.

I felt myself shudder, as tears pooled in my eyes, and I willed them not to spill. I won't cry over something I never had. Over someone I never really had.

"Luna, is everything alright back there?" I heard Jesse ask, and I opened my eyes to see him looking back at me from the rear view mirror. Concern evident in his voice and eyes.

"Juste... parfait." I told him with a weak smile. I caught myself after I had spoken."Sorry, uh- I'm okay."

He nodded and shifted his view from me to the icy road in front of me. I relished the silence, this whole experience aged me to an extent I was surprised I hadn't found a gray hair somewhere on my head.