(20) Loving you has Consequences

I looked at the paper on my desk. I knew what it was and it was good.

I sat down in my chair, and slowly opened the paper.

It was the promotion papers to become a Detective. I softly sighed. Yes.

I always wanted this, it was my dream to become a Detective.

But...now as I think of it I just don't want it, maybe it's not right of me to take it.

Would I be selfish? I mean...

I sighed once again.

Becoming a Detective has always been my goal since the first day that I've became a cop.

Hell its been my dream since I was a young kid and I don't want to give it up now.

"Reagan can I see you in my office?" I heard my sergeant call as he broke me out of my thoughts.

"Which Reagan?" Jamie responded.

"Katelyn."

"Good luck sis." Jamie said as he patted me on the back.

"Thanks I'm going to need it." I mumbled as I grabbed onto Jamie's hand and pulled myself up.

I walked into Sergeants office and shut the door and sat down in the chair in front of this desk like I always do when I'm here.

"I'm heard you got a promotion Officer Reagan, are you going to accept the offer?" He said smiling.

"Um-I haven't decided yet to be honest."

"Listen Katelyn. I know it's going to be hard to leave Jamie and Brandon here trust me I know what it's like to want to keep your relationship with Brandon on the low, I've been thee before with my wife, when we first started dating we had to keep our relationship on the low because you can't date someone in the same department as you. When I met my wife we started off as partners and just one night after shift we went out to get drinks and one thing turn into a next thing and now look us as we have been married for over 10 years. We had our ups and downs while being partners and being in a relationship, I won't tell anyone that you guys are something but make a good choice whatever you decide to do I will support you, and I'll sign off if you want to go. I know how much you want to be a Detective in the Special Victims Unit, Olivia Benson will be glad to have you on her team."

After he finished talking I know what I want to do and I know that it will be for the best of us.

And I know that if Brandon loves me then he will support my decision.

I smiled big, and I handed him the pages so he could sign in.

"I'm going to take the promotion."

"I'm so happy for you Reagan you deserve it."

"Thank you so much." He signed the paper and I took it and walked out back to my desk.

"What was that about?" Jamie asked as he came up to me.

"Nothing Jamie." I lied but I need to I can't have him knowing yet only cause Brandon has to be the first one to know.

I went to the locker room and walked in and got my duffle bag and walked back out.

"Night Jamie I'll see you tomorrow after dinner."

"Night Kate." He kissed my cheek and I walked outside.

This day couldn't have gone better then it is.

• • •

I unlocked the door to my apartment and walked in, I slipped off my shoes and placed my bag on the floor.

"Baby?" I called out as I shut the door.

There was no answer. That's weird where could he be.

"Hello?" I looked around and nobody.

I faced my head to Joe's door, when I looked again it opened and Joe came out of the room. I must be seeing stuff.

"Joe?" I said in disbelief.

"It's me Katelyn."

"No." I shook my head as I covered my eyes. "You aren't here. I'm just seeing you."

"No I'm really here."

"No." I started crying. "Your in my imagination. You aren't here you aren't real! You aren't here you aren't real!" I repeated over crying.

I felt like I was going insane and maybe I was. I picked up my house phone and dialed Danny's number.

"Hey this is Danny's voicemail, obviously I couldn't get to the phone so leave a voice mail and I'll get back to you." Beep..

Once it beeped it told me to leave a message.

"Danny-" I sobbed. "I'm scared." My voice cracked with every word that I spoke. "I know your going to think I'm crazy which I probably am at this point. I'm seeing things that I shouldn't be seeing." I sobbed harder. "How do I even know if this is real anymore. What if I'm just imagining it all? What if I'm not really together with Brandon? What if I'm not engaged? What if I'm not really pregnant? What if Joe didn't really die?" Tears just flew down my face it was like you could hear them hit the floor.

I ended the call, and looked. Joe was still there.

"Katelyn what's wrong?"

"Get away from me!" I ran to the closet and hid in the closet, I put the closet light off, and sat on the floor, with my knees up to my stomach.

I just sobbed and sobbed.

Why me? Why is this happening to me?