(14) Unsteady

The phone started ringing as I was brushing my hair. I picked up my phone.

Who ever was calling didn't have a name in my phone.

"Hello?" I put my phone on speaker and threw my hair into a messy bun.

"Is this Katelyn Reagan?"

"Yes it is, can I ask who is calling?"

"This is Doctor Smith calling from the New York City hospital."

I took a deep breath. "What is this in regards to?"

"We have your husband-" I cut him off.

"What-what about him?"

"Your husband got shot and is in critical condition."

"I-" Tears rolled down my face. "I'm coming! I'm on my way." I slipped my phone in my pants pocket and ran out of the house.

Not even putting on a coat. Not caring if I could get sick cause of the snow.

There's no time to call a cab.

I just ran and ran even if the light was green.

When I reached the hospital I was slightly up of breath, I ran upstairs. I knew the floors like the back of my head.

"Please I need to go see him!" I yelled as Danny pulled me back.

"No, Katelyn you can't see him right now he's in surgery."

"I have to." I tried to leave but he put a tighter grip on me. "Let me go!" I shouted as tears ran down my face.

"No." He said sternly.

• • •

"Family of Brandon Casey?" A doctor said coming out.

I stood up. "Me. I'm the only family he has."

"What's your relationship to him?" The doctor asked looking at him.

"Fiancé." I said quietly so the others couldn't hear.

"Alright you can come with me." He smiled friendly.

He lead me to the room where Brandon was.

"He's unconscious, the surgery went well. He were able to remove the bullet. The nurse will come back in 10 mins to see how he's doing."

"Thank you." I said down in the chair next to him. Placing my hand on top of his.

"I know you can't hear me baby, but I was planning to tell you some exciting news later. I had it all planned out and everything. I'm pregnant surprise, I'm a couple days along. I can't believe we are going to be a family, you got to fight for me and our unborn child." I kissed his hand.

Why does everyone I love get hurt no matter what. "I'll be right back."

I got up and went to the waiting room where everyone was.

"How is he doing?" I sat down next to Danny.

"He's our surgery just unconscious." I sighed.

"I'll be the lead detective on the case with my partner as you know." I nodded my head and leaned it on his shoulder. He placed his hand on mine. "Brandon's strong he'll be alright."

I nodded again. "I know."

Flashback

"Brandon Casey! Give me that back right now!" I yelled chasing after him.

Brandon had took my "diary" as a joke. He just loves to joke around with me.

As I ran around the house after him I couldn't help but laugh.

I finally reached out and grabbed my diary falling on top of him.

"Hello love." He smiled.

I returned the smile as he peaked my lips.

"Why are you so lovely and annoying at the smile time?"

"It's a gift." He laughed.

Mhm. I stood up walking to the kitchen. "A gift huh?"

"Yeah." He said following me. "Do you love me?"

"Yes I do, a lot." He brought me into a hug.

"I'd never let anything happen to you, I won't let you go I love you always and forever."

I smiled. "Same." I whispered.