Chap 24

It had been around four weeks since Sans had agreed to try.

The past weeks had been.... difficult.

So very difficult.

The effects of LV had worn out. And the shock of everything that had happened- from losing his 'brother', to his world-view being so forcibly shattered- the horror of it all had hit him time and time again. There wasn't a night that went by without at least one of them waking up to find Sans in the midst of a horrid nightmare- or sometimes he had woken up before they could, and one of them would find the smaller clawing at himself in an attempt to remove the dust that no longer coated him.

Those nights were bad, but those were nothing compared to the times where Sans was unresponsive. Where no matter what they did, Sans wouldn't so much as twitch- his empty sockets staring listlessly into nothing. It was as if he was fallen. Every second he was like that was frightening, more so than the injuries, because at least those they could heal. They could do something other than just sit and wait for him to return.

And every step forward felt as if there were twice as many back.

There were so many things that could make the smaller afraid- so many things that reminded him of the bastards he had had to call 'family'. There were a few times, in his very weakest moments, that Red wondered whether or not they could truly help Sans. But there were so many things that proved that shameful fear wrong. Such as the times they managed to get him to laugh, to return a joke, regardless of how nervous it had made him, and the even fewer times Sans initiated something- whether it be a hug, or going to them for help with coping.

They were helping.

Sans was slowly healing.

It didn't matter how long it took, as long as they could help the smallest live a life without suffering.

Today, they were doing something entirely new.

They were going on a date.

Edge had been the one to mention it- the more romantic feelings, shared between all three of them- awhile ago, but Red had been the one to ask if Sans wanted to go on a date. After a week of thinking on it, Sans had agreed, much to their joy. It would be good for them all to leave the apartment for awhile. They hadn't left their home much since Sans had returned- Edge still went to his job, though he was beginning to deeply detest it, and Red occasionally went out for groceries, while Sans remained home with whoever wasn't out. It be would good for the smaller skeleton to get out- to stretch his legs and clear his mind.

" ya ready?" Red questioned, glancing over to the smaller.

Sans gave him a nervous smile as he nodded, joining the Fell brothers at the door. With their group together, the three headed out the front door and down to the car. It would've been much faster to use magic to, but it would be nice to take a car trip around first. Edge took the driver's seat, while Red sat in the back- leaving Sans to get in the other front seat.

The location of the date had been carefully chosen beforehand- Muffets' Coffee Shop. It was the least risky place they could choose- not too many humans, nor monsters, would be there at this time.

And it was unlikely that a police officer would drop in for a visit- a growing concern, now.

Last week, swap Alphys had called them to tell them some information that she'd undoubtedly get in trouble for sharing, were anyone to find out. Some dust had been found. The human officers tended to stall on monster cases- murder being no exception- but the dust would be checked one day. Being related- Sans, of course, would be one of the first suspects. But it was very unlikely they'd be searched for at the Coffee shop.