Chap 15

Red had been questioned first.

'Tale Undyne, as she was biased in the matter, had not been allowed to help with the case. Which left the 'Fell brothers confessing to 'Swap Alphys, who was far less involved emotionally. The lizard monster hadn't quite gotten used to alternates- she wasn't friends with Papyrus yet. She'd always claim to be too bust to hang out with him. It had used to bother Red, how she blatantly avoided Papyrus, but that had been before he knew what a horrid soul his brother's alternate was.

He was beyond grateful for her avoidance, now.

Were she biased too, it would of left the 'Fell brothers to be questioned by human officers. Red doubted the humans would bother to listen to a monster, let alone one from a 'Fell 'verse. Nothing good would've happened, were they left with a human cop.

During the questioning, Red had brought up all the evidence of Papyrus's abuse that he'd witnessed. The more he explained, the heavier her frown grew. But at least she was listening- whether or not she had doubts didn't matter. She'd still have to look into it. Abuse was serious, no matter the 'verse. After she finished questioning him, she left to undoubtedly question Edge as well. The worst part of it all wasn't being interrogated- the process here was nothing like what occurred in their verse, after all. The worst part was being left to think in silence.

Sans was alone.

Red's soul felt tight with fear, his limbs felt weak- shaky- he was almost certain he was going to throw up. Right now, Sans was probably alone with that bastard.

There was an overwhelming feeling of hopelessness, and an even greater sense of dread.

There was nothing he could do to help, not yet, not here. The others had proven that they wouldn't help, that they wouldn't even listen. All he could do was hope that Sans was alright- that Papyrus wouldn't hurt him, that the others wouldn't dare to leave the two alone. But they probably would, wouldn't they? The sting of betrayal he felt at them foolishly listening to Papyrus, to falling for Papyrus's manipulation, was painful. The Fell brothers' LV had always been a tense topic- a thing they'd been heavily judged for at first. The fact that the other had used it to pin the blame on them was a disgusting show of how unfairly good he was at manipulating others.

Red wanted to feel angry at the others, but he was too tired to. The overwhelming helplessness of the situation left him feeling exhausted of anything other than anxiety. Would Papyrus be smart enough to realize Sans' Hp was too low for him to hurt him? Would he care? What if, when they went to rescue Sans, all they would find was a pile of dust?

Fuck, he hoped Sans was alright.

After 36 hours of being held in questioning, the Fell brothers had finally been released.

Edge met him outside of the building, having been released a few minutes earlier. It was quiet as he took his brothers' hand- taking them back to their apartment with his magic. It had been a very, very long night- neither of them had gotten any rest. The fear of what could be clearly had kept his brother awake as well. Sleep felt impossible, now that they didn't know whether or not the smaller was alright. Edge pulled him close, just as desperate as Red himself was for any comfort in this situation.

" What Do We Do?"

It had been so damn long since he'd heard his brother sound like this. Tired, worn-down by the events of life. Red rubbed his brother's spine, letting out a heavy sigh of his own. The first idea Red's mind went to was one his brother wouldn't approve of. An option that they would've taken without a second thought, were they back in their own 'verse. There were two things keeping Red from choosing that path; murder was illegal here, even with proper justifications, and he'd promised Edge that they wouldn't have to kill again.