Chap 14

Despite stating that they'd bring Sans home, the 'Tale brothers apartment wasn't the first place they went.

The first location Papyrus drove them was down to the station- the girls needed to question Sans, to see if he would confess. There wasn't much the police could do if he didn't. After a long four hours of waiting for the questioning to be complete, swap Alphys released the smallest back to their custody. If the disgruntled expression on her face meant anything, Sans hadn't cooperated.

Which, wasn't all that surprising. After they'd gotten Sans into the car, he hadn't spoken a word. Sans sort of just.... shut down. Sans's posture was slumped, eyelights dim enough to make his sockets seem empty, his hands pulling Red's over-sized jacket around him tighter- as if seeking comfort.

Stretch's soul ached in sympathy.

Sans clearly cared about the two.

He.... he didn't really know much about whatever went down between Sans and the 'Fell brothers. None of them did. But it was clear that the smaller cared about them- though whether or not they deserved it was questionable. What Red and Edge had claimed about Papyrus, that was undoubtedly bullshit, but he struggled (at first) to believe they'd do something like that.

But it made far more sense that they would, rather than their cheery alternate.

LoV changed a monster's soul. It made a monster more violent- made the act of hurting others easier, made them more capable to do so. Sometimes, it made them crave it. The Fell Brothers had more LoV than the rest of them. They clearly had that craving- and Sans had fallen victim to that sort of violence. It was... to say 'hurtful' felt too light. The betrayal stung at Stretch's soul, but pity doused the anger. Despite his brother's insistence that everyone could be good, it turned out that the Fell brothers were beyond help, with Lv like that.

There was another thing that pointed to the 'Fell brothers. Other than Papyrus, there were no other monsters (as far as he knew, he didn't really know sans) that the smallest had regular contact with. In the weeks that Red and Sans had started hanging out, to Sans being in their home, who knew what had happened? Clearly nothing good- Sans's max Hp had dropped a lot from the last time they'd seen him. With time, surely Papyrus would be able to get it back up. Sure, the brothers didn't get along, but whatever childish spat they'd had could be forgotten with this, right? At least for a little while? No matter how bad whatever Sans did was, Papyrus could forgive him-

Huh.

Papyrus was like Blue, wasn't he? Stretch had had his shitty moments- everyone did- but Blue forgave him. Worked it out with him. Helped him better himself. Wouldn't.... wouldn't Papyrus do that, too? Stretch shook his head, unsuccessfully trying to push away his unease. Whatever had happened between the 'Tale brothers was just that bad.

That was all, right?

" We're Here" Papyrus informed, his voice bringing him out of his thoughts.

They'd parked in front of the apartment complex that the 'Tale brothers lived in. Stretch spared another glance over to the still-despondent Sans before he followed the other's lead- unbuckling and coming out from the car. It was only when Papyrus opened the door on Sans's side that the smaller jerked out of whatever daze he was in. They headed up the steps, over to the shared apartment and entered the unlocked door.

Blue and Razz waited inside, his brother pacing while Razz sat on the couch, arms folded across his chest. The two were the best healers out of their group, and, seeing as how going to a hospital wouldn't help a monster in this situation, their magic was necessary. They didn't know if Sans had any current injuries, but it was better to be safe than sorry.