Chap 11

The suns' ray shone brightly through the window.

It took a minute for Edge to understand what it meant. He shot up, looking over to the clock in disbelief. How the hell had he slept in this late?! He had never slept in this late before- he certainly hadn't felt that exhausted! The tall skeleton kicked off the covers before he went to the closet to change. Once dressed in something clean, he headed out to the living room to check in on the other two.

The sight that greeted him made his soul feel so much lighter.

The two were sitting on the couch, asleep. Sans's skull rested on his brother's shoulder as he leaned against him, while red's skull was tipped back in a position that would most likely hurt when he woke. Fluffy blankets had once been pulled up around them, but seemed to of slipped while they slept, though they didn't seem to mind. The movie they'd been watching had continued without them, continually playing the title screen music.

They looked peaceful. Red and Sans looked more at ease than he'd seen them be before, quite the feat on his brother's part. His soul felt warmer, proud of the both of them for taking care of themselves. Edge was quiet as he approached, careful not to wake them as he re-covered the two with the blankets. Once content that they were warm, the taller headed to the kitchen. It was around dinner time now, though it was a bit early, cooking always did take some time. Plus, he wasn't sure whether or not the two had had anything to eat. The single bowl in the sink didn't tell him much, but he hoped that Red had managed to get Sans to eat.

After a brief hesitation, he decided that pasta was a good dinner. Edge was tall enough to be able to reach the pasta-pot with a chair, so he'd expected it to be a rather simple affair to get it down. He didn't expect the handle of the spaghetti pot to break, however, and it crashed to the floor loudly. With a flash of red, his brother was by his side in seconds- magic heavy in the air, prepared to defend. When he noticed it was just a pot, his brother visibly relaxed.

" geeze bro, was gettin' a pot down too hard to handle?"

Edge was about to scold him for the joke when he heard a soft sound, he looked up to find Sans standing in the doorway, a grin spread across his skull. Though it fell when he caught Edge looking, a far more nervous expression replacing it. The smaller expected him to be upset, and 'upset' had most likely never meant anything good.

" Apparently So" He sighed, frowning down at the metal handle that had broken off. One of the screws was rusty, he noted, as he threw it away. Red picked the pot up, setting it beside the trashcan to be dealt with later. It wasn't too big of a loss, as he'd been planning on getting a new one for a while.

" Good Mornin- Er, No, It's Late Afternoon By Now. So Good Afternoon! Did You Two Sleep Well?" Edge asked, changing the subject. Sans' shoulders slumped with relief- he joined them in the kitchen, though lingered by the exit.

" yep" Red said as he brought a hand up to rub at his neck, " 'm surprised i'm not sore though."

" I'm Not Too Surprised, You've Fallen Asleep In Odder Places" Edge commented. Namely, the stairs in their last home. How his brother had ever fallen asleep there was a mystery that would go unsolved.

" Did You Sleep Well, Sans?" He questioned, not wanting the smaller to be left out. He seemed surprised to be addressed, but nodded.

" yep, 'm so good at sleeping i can do it with my eyes closed" Sans joked. The joke was entirely unexpected, and he would be lying if he said it wasn't funny. The only thing that bothered him was that the nervous expression hadn't faded from the others' skull. As if he was testing him. When all Edge and Red did was laugh, the smaller seemed a lot less tense. Would... would Papyrus really get upset over something as little as a joke?