Chap 19

Most of the household managed to sleep until afternoon.

Edge was briefly startled when he woke to the sounds of clattering pots, though calmed when he remembered where exactly he was. He sat up, careful to not disturb his brother's rest as he checked over the two. Sans and Red were still unconscious, not so much as twitching at the sounds. Even in rest, they looked exhausted. Well, there was no need to wake them just yet. They needed all the rest they could get, especially Sans, given his state.

Assured that they were both fine, he headed to the kitchen to take a peak at who had woken him up. It wasn't unusual in the slightest to find both Blue and Razz standing in front of the stove. What was unusual, however, was how they were behaving. Distant, quiet, seemingly lost in thought as they went through the motions of preparing for the late breakfast. Their behavior made his soul swirl uneasily.

" Good Morning" he greeted, quieter than usual in an attempt to not startle them.

A semi-useless effort, as Blue still jolted at the sudden sound- the pan in hand clattering loudly. Edge checked back on the two- they hadn't woken up, thankfully.

" Morning Edge" Blue returned, giving him an apologetic smile for the sound. Razz frowned harder at the sight of him, though there was now a look of hesitation across his skull- internally fighting with himself about something. The unease in his soul grew-- did something happen? They had been expecting a call from their Alphys.....

" What Happened?" Edge demanded, crossing his arms as he waited for an explanation.

At the question, the two exchanged an anxious glance, both not wanting to be the barer of bad news. Razz gave in with a sigh, rubbing at his sockets as if the action could erase his headache before he answered.

" Theres been a change of Plans" he started, " Alphys called. She... She Said Papyrus didn't show up."

Fuck.

Fuck, Fuck, fuck... Of course it didn't go as planned. Edge wished he could say he was surprised by the fact that something else had gone terribly wrong, but all he felt was bitter frustration.

" I Know You Don't Want To Be Around Us, Which We Understand Completely, But You Three Can't Go Home Yet In Case..." Blue trailed off, though they all knew what he meant. In case Papyrus came after them. And given his record, he certainly would try to get his brother back.

Despite his disdain at being with his alternates, Edge agreed with the plan entirely. The others would be well needed back-up. None of them were lacking in the skill of fighting, and with the others around, Papyrus would be deterred from seeking them out directly. Long as they kept Sans inside, it'd be impossible for the asshole to get to Sans.

" I See. Are They Looking For Him?"

Razz looked offended, " Of course! Alphys stationed someone outside the apartment to watch if Papyrus comes back. Toriel and Grillby have been called to keep an eye out for him, as have the Dogi. He Can't stay hidden long."

Edge hoped that was true. The sooner Papyrus was out of the picture, the better for everyone. Though... how Sans would take it was questionable. Papyrus had proven to be extremely manipulative, and the smaller had lived with that abuse for.... for his entire life, so far. The horrific state of his damaged soul attested to that. Sans was stuck in that web of lies, of believing he deserved harm, believing that his 'brother' was entirely justified in his actions. Sans never had someone say otherwise. Never had better. Never had genuine love.

Edge couldn't imagine he would last long in a world where his brother didn't love him. The pain that the other would feel upon understanding the truth.... They would do their best to make sure he survived it. They would do their best to be there for him, no matter what.