Chapter 4: Strange Encounters

"I live with my regrets everyday

I live with the fact that I didn't cherish you, didn't believe you.
I live with the consequences of my stupid actions.
But you know what the worst thing is?
I ruined you. I ruined you beyond repair."
-Vulcrian Quivarus

Several days had passed ever since I started working as Prince Vulcrian's maid. Being his personal maid certainly had its advantages. I could have extra food simply by showing the cooks the white bell on my head or telling them that the Prince was hungry. Like the fools they are, they believed me. I could also sneak out and explore the palace grounds. If the guards question my actions, I would simply tell them that Prince Vulcrain had sent me on an errand.

    "Amara." I turned around and curtsied out of habit. A heavy sigh and rough, calloused hands forced me upright. I gave him a grin and a quirk of his lips could be seen.

    "What do you need, your highness?" I asked as I looked up to meet his eyes. He quickly looked away and busied himself with the papers on his desk. Weirdly enough, he doesn't seem to like eye contact. I pursed my lips, but he was looking straight at the King's eyes today when we bumped into him.

    "I'm going to visit a village for the rest of the day. It's not too far from here, just a few minutes flight." He turned back towards me, still avoiding eye contact.

    Brushing the rudeness off, I dropped the broom, making a loud clatter as it hit the floorboards. "You mean, we're leaving the palace?!" I couldn't help but jump up in excitement. Finally, after endless views of drab walls and stone archways, I can finally get out of this damn place.

    Vulcrian nodded, a soft smile gracing his lips. Truth be told, this was the first time I had seen him smile and the inner teenage girl in me gushed. I bit my lip to hold back a smile and followed him to his balcony.

    Pushing open the lavish glass doors, the warm afternoon air kissed our faces in greeting. Several pots of plants were placed off to the side, a red velvet chair sat on the right. Stone railings carved in intricate designs separated the area from the landing platform ahead.

    Nervousness overtook my limbs and I took an unconscious step back. It has been so long since I flew. What if I fall and go splat on the grass below? It would certainly be mortifying especially when there were several guards standing a few yards away. They would definitely enjoy a good laugh.

    "I'll catch you if you fall." Vulcrian leapt into the air with a powerful flap of his snow white wings. I stared in awe as the sun illuminated his broad shoulders and made his black hair gleam. He looked back at me and held out a hand.

    Dear lord, Amara. Don't embarress yourself.  I closed my eyes and took a huge breath, and jumped off. Immediately my wings beat against the wind, trying to keep my body upright. I teetered and fell a few inches, making my heart drop.