Chapter 28: Amaline

Even the strongest rose

Will wilt against the incoming storm

My mind was hazy as I slowly blinked my eyes. I was outside, the soft grass tickling the bottom of my bare feet as I stood there. Looking around, I noticed a huge stable to the right and the strong smell of horse manure in the air. However, the smell didn't bother me, it seemed familiar... like home.

"Sarpy!" My body ran towards a large hanging willow tree that stood a few yards from the stable. I willed my body to stop but it didn't listen. My mouth opened without my control.

"I know you're up there! Come down!"

"I'm not up here!" A male voice sounded up the tree and I could vaguely make out a small body sitting on top of a branch.

I stomped my foot and picking up a pebble, threw it up at the boy.

"Hey! Alright I'm coming down, jeesh. You're going to kill me by the time I get to a hundred."

A tall lanky boy hopped down, spreading his hawk brown wings for a soft landing. The little girl's body ran forward and wrapped her -my- arms around his waist. "You promised to buy me chocolate the last time you went to town. You broke your promise." I could feel myself pouting up at him.

I stared at the blurry face of the boy. Why couldn't I see who he was? Where were we? Why was I here?

"Who said I forgot?" There was an arrogant tone in the boy's voice as he puffed his chest out and crossed his arms.

"But mommy said-"

"She lied."

"Sarpy, I demand you give me candy."

"Yes, Princess Ama." The boy gave a huge overexaggerated bow, making the girl giggle. All the while, I looked through her eyes, observing the scene before me. Princess Ama? Was she the missing princess? Then that means...

A featherlike touch on my forehead made me jump and as if being pulled back to the present, I sat up in the hospital bed in shock. Looking up, I saw Killian and Ellisar staring at me with wide eyes.

"What?" I felt a bit creeped out by their unblinking stares.

"You said Sarpy," Ellisar said, voice trembling.

"I did?"

"How did you know that name?"

I looked to Killian who was staring at me intensely. "Umm, I'm not sure. It was in my dream?" My voice turned a bit high at the end. Did that sound weird?

Ellisar looked like he was about to have a panic attack as he ran his hand roughly through his hair. The inner ring of purple around his blue eyes seemed to flicker as he blinked rapidly. "W-what was your dream about?"