Chapter 37: Divine Beads

Killian

Killian

Sometimes good things last but the majority of the time, they never do. They worm their way into your heart and when they're gone, the grief that comes after is a wretched and monstrous feeling.

I'm not leaving.

My hands tightened on the body in my lap, refusing to let go.

Not in this lifetime or the next, I'm not going anywhere.

Around me, soldiers knelt, heads bowed as a show of honor for a passing royal. I paid them no heed. I stared at closed eyelids that hid those brilliant violet eyes from me. Those eyes that shone every time she smiled.

I released a shuddering breath. You lied. You're leaving me. In front of us, the hunched figure of the western prince knelt, shoulders racked with sobs as he bowed his head. "Take him to the dungeons. What happens to him will lay in the Southern King and Queen's hands."

The guards yanked him onto his feet, dragging him away and hopefully, never be seen again. A large hand squeezed my shoulder. "We should let them know."

Them. The King and Queen of the South. Amara's biological parents, who had been looking for her for all these years. They should've awaited with joy but they had no knowledge that their daughter was here, alive.

I brushed a lock of dark hair away from her face. If only I could turn back time, before all this war where thousands have died, before these betrayals and back to the ball where we first met. Maybe then I could've tried harder to change her mind.

The beads in my chest heated and I gasped, taking them out. Opening the case, the four divine beads were glowing brightly, the heat coming off them was near unbearable. Placing them on the ground, we watched as they floated upwards towards Amara.

A flicker of hope swelled in my chest but I didn't dare believe. Could the beads bring the dead back to life?

Silence reigned over the battlefield, there was a tension in the air as if everyone was holding their breaths, not daring to breathe in case a slight stir would make the beads stop. They landed in the middle of her chest, right above her heart. Their brightness pulsed as one, getting brighter with each flare.

Seconds passed into minutes and at last the beads dimmed, their lights flickering out. The sword that was in her stomach had disappeared, the gaping wound where blood was pouring out had closed, leaving a huge pink scar in its place. But as I looked at her, her face still held the remnants of death and any hope I had spluttered out. "Amara?"

No response.

Please wake up. You promised.

Not a twitch of her fingers or a flutter of her eyelids. Letting out a sound that bordered between a scream and a wail, I leaned down until my forehead touched hers. Tears fell down and dripped onto her pale face as I hugged her close.

"I thought it was raining at first."

My sobs ceased abruptly as gasps echoed around me. I was dreaming, I had to be. There was no way... and yet as I opened my eyes, two orbs of brilliant violet stared at me.

"Are you..."

She gave me a beautiful breathtaking smile and my heart sped up. It was like seeing her at the ball all over again. "You can't get rid of me that easily." Arcadia and Titan tilted their head to the sky, releasing a hauntingly joyous howl. 

I choked out a laugh, helping her sit up. My hands held her face, feeling the pulse that's beating rapidly in tune with mine. Pulling her into my chest, I laughed in relief and joy, aware of a smaller pair of arms wrapping themselves around me. "You came back, you really came back."

She let out a weak chuckle and nuzzled her face into my neck. "I made a promise and I didn't intend to break this one."

"I love you, Amara."

I felt her smile as she replied. "I love you, Killian." 

And as the Prince held his Princess close, she came to realize that love may not be from the one who was the first but the one who has sacrificed more than he bargained for. 

The Prince who loved too much and the Princess who came to know her worth. 

And it is upon the shattered wings of history that a new one was made.

The End

Well not yet since there's still an epilogue. c: 

I did have a brief moment where Amara was to stay dead but then my babies have suffered too much so they deserve a happy ending. 

Vote, Comment, Hope you enjoyed! 

Epilogue coming soon!