Chapter 22: Stay

I don't blame you for leaving

But the sad part was when you forgot about us

I took a bite out of the croissant in my hands and I silently moaned at the buttery taste. Cora raised an eyebrow at me and I shrugged, taking another bite.

She scrunched up her nose, "Close your mouth, I don't want to see chewed up mush in your mouth."

To aggravate her further, I chewed loudly and obnoxiously, making sure the food in my mouth was visible. I laughed as she gagged.

It was silent for a while as we walked the castle halls. Maids walked about, carrying baskets of laundry while others held onto brooms and dusters. I was in their place once or maybe I still am. As I smiled at a maid who returned it, I noticed something about them that was different.

They seem happier. They hummed as they swept the floors, laughed and joked about with each other as they worked. When they saw Cora, instead of looking down, they grinned and greeted her happily.

"Is there a head maid here?"

Cora stopped and looked at me as if I was absurd. "Why would there be a head maid here?"

I shrugged. "At the Western Kingdom, there's a head maid who's in charge of all the other maids."

"There's no head maids here silly. We don't give a maid more power over the others just in case she abuses it. All maids answer to the guards or royals."

"Oh." We walked out the door, the two guards standing by it glanced at us as we passed. Catching their eyes, I lifted my hand and waved like a crazy person. Their lips twitched as they returned my greeting with a nod.

"Where are we going?"

Cora smirked and grabbed my hand, yanking me around the corner. "We're going to watch my brother train the guards and warriors."

My brain stopped and I had to blink several times to clear the shock. "He trains them?!"

She laughed at my stupidness, "Yes, he took it upon himself to train them when the old Captain passed away several years ago. We told him we could find someone else but he refused saying and I quote 'We don't need another lousy Winged to make our guards and warriors look like losers.'"

I laughed, "Surely they weren't that bad."

Cora shrugged as we walked towards the back fields. "No but there were major improvements after my brother took over."

"Wait so your brother's Captain?"

"Yes, he's the best we've ever had," Cora said, her face beaming with pride for her brother. "Let's go sit on top of that hill, it'll be easier to look down at them." She opened her wings and flew towards the distant hill.