Chapter 9: We Shall

"Why is it so easy to kill our happiness, 

but so hard to kill our sadness?" 

~Unknown

When I woke up the next morning, I was greeted with the sight of a certain white winged prince carrying a tray of food into the room. I blinked, speechless as he put the tray on the table. You don't see a prince carrying food into your room everyday.

Vulcrian turned around and froze when he saw me watching from my comfortable position on the bed. He coughed awkwardly, his cheeks slightly tinged pink. "Uh I brought you some food."

Choosing to ignore his embarrassment, I turned my attention to the food, my stomach growling. Vulcrian handed me the tray filled with plates of scrambled eggs, sausages, hash browns, and pancakes. Too hungry to pay any attention to him, I dug in.

A small chuckle made me look up. "Slow down before you choke." I didn't reply but slowed down with my scarfing.

After I finished eating, Vulcrian gently took the tray and placed it aside. Awkward silence filled the room and I picked at my bandages. "You will not need to finish the preparations." He looked over at me and frowned at my picking. "Go prepare for the Lunar celebration."

I looked up in confusion. "Are they already done?" He nodded.

"Do you have anything to wear for the celebration?" I shook my head and sheepishly tucked a lock of hair behind my ear. His eyes followed the movement.

Without another word, he disappeared out the door, leaving me blinking in confusion. Guess it was his thing to disappear and appear out of the blue. Seeing how he wasn't back after a few minutes, I got up and stretched. Walking towards the bathroom, I peeled back the bandages and winced.

The skin around the burns were flayed and blackened, leaving bloodied splotches across the lower part of my arm. The cool air nipped at the raw flesh and I gritted my teeth as my arm stung. The blue glow that had followed after the water touched my skin had long disappeared.

After freshening up and rewrapping my wounded arm, I stepped out of my room into the hall. It was eerily empty, the silence a foreboding feeling crawling along my skin. Maybe it was just me who couldn't stand places too quiet. It drove me insane; the urge to smash something was very prominent.

Strolling towards the huge library, two familiar guards greeted me. A grin took over my face. "Hey you!"

They looked up, surprised to be addressed so boldly. The taller one breathed out a sigh and gave his friend a quick nudge. "If it isn't our little Miss Tough."

I rolled my eyes as they grinned. Their sharp spear-like weapon caught my eye and I turned toward them in interest. I reached out a hand to touch it, only for it to be pulled out of my reach. "Whoa there. This is no toy," The short one said as he made sure to keep his spear a few feet away from me.