Prologue: Never Again

"Sometimes love is too painful

That I would rather not love at all"

I feel numb. Funny thing is, it's not my body or the blood currently seeping out of the wound in my chest. No. The one thing I had given him, the one thing he had taken advantage of.

Foolish. I had been utterly foolish to fall for his charms. His dark mysterious persona that I had given myself into. Only to have him throw it back into my face.

A tear slides down my cold cheek as I stare up at the dark sky. So dark, so beautiful. I can feel the cold taking over my body, seeping into my bones, into my veins. I lay there under the dark sky, not feeling but feeling everything at once.

A flap of white wings. A glimpse of his midnight black hair. Hands cradle my head as wet droplets land on my cheeks. I slowly look up at his amber eyes which were clouded with tears. I give him a small smile as he shakes his head, bringing my head closer to his.

Funny that this is where our love led us to. Funny how no matter how many times he had ripped out my heart, made me experience pain no one in my place should be subjected to, or how much he has broken me, a small part of me still loves him.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry," He whispers, his voice wavering as he rocks me back and forth.

Another tear slides my cheek as I struggle to take in air. "N-no matter how many times you say it. I-I will never forgive you." A small trickle of blood made its way out of the corner of my mouth.

He shakes his head, hugging my body closer to his. His pearl white wings, one of the many things I had loved about him droop from his back. "I'm sorry, please don't leave me...please."

I muster up a small smile, coughing up more blood. "I never regretted anything in my life, never regretted falling in love with you." I swallow as more tears roll down his cheekbones. "B-but, in the next life and so forth... I will not make the mistake of falling for you again."

"No, no. You don't mean that," He cries in desperation, his grip tightening around me. "Please, you can't leave me. Nothing will make up for what I did but I promise you. I promise you that I will-"

I shake my head at him, taking in a deep breath. "Don't make promises you never intend to keep."

My vision is becoming blurry, his face is starting to fade away. I once was afraid of dying but if I can finally leave this excruciating pain behind, I will welcome death with open arms. I can hear a ringing, gradually getting louder. And as I exhale a soft sigh, everything eventually fades away to nothingness.

His shaking hands skim over her pale face, once bright and glowing was now riddled with small cuts. It was all his fault, his damn fault. He had caused the death of the one person he had promised his soul to. There is nothing else he can do but hold her frozen body in his arms.

They watch as their prince who has always worn a mask of coldness wail for the girl in his arms, the girl who's broken wings lay crooked, some feathers torn, and blank violet eyes stare up into nothingness. They stand with their prince as dawn break out across the sky. There are no birds, no sounds of life that signal the start of a new day.

Snow fell silently from the sky, landing on the two figures on the grass, illuminating them in a soft glow. As the prince's sobs continue, as her body becomes frigid from the cold, the world silently cries alongside its prince.

Gee, that was tragic. Poor guy.

How is the prologue? 👀