Paladin Danse

A hobby of yours ever since you've woken up from your cyro nap, was to document your days in a journal. You wrote about your good days, bad days, neutral days, and anything new in your life. It became a necessary thing to your daily pattern.

You sit at a desk at the main level of Listening Post Bravo, with your elbow propped on the table and your cheek resting in the palm of your hand. Your other hand held the pencil you were writing with, drumming the table at a rapid pace. Your mind was spinning as you attempted to put your thoughts into words on the paper. Danse was a synth, but you loved him.

Maxson demanded that you kill him. A silent tear slips down your face as you thought it over in your head once again, the droplet staining your journal paper. Finally you take a deep breath and slam the journal closed. You eyed the elevator, setting your pistol on the desk as you stood up. You weren't here to settle the mission, but rather to settle your truthful thoughts. Danse had to know how you felt, no matter what happened afterwards.

You step onto the elevator, wiping your cheek before it reached the bottom level. The doors opened and you rushed to meet with Danse, stepping into the room and noticing how he had his back turned to you.

"I know you're here to kill me. I won't object. You didn't deserve to be lied to this entire time." Danse turned to face you, the corners of his lips slightly turning up into a smile at the sight of you. "I'll have to admit, I will miss hearing you share your stories from the journal."

You wanted to laugh at his attempt of releasing the tension of the situation, but it only caused your heart to ache more. "I wouldn't want to write about this day and remember killing my— my best friend." you tell him, not entirely speaking the truth about your feelings.

"I lied to you, Y/N, this entire time. How could you still want to be friends with me after that?"

You choked on your own words, fighting the urge to hold back your feelings as you did so often. "Because I love you, Danse. I couldn't live with myself after this if you're harmed in any way."

Danse was shocked at your confession. He wanted so badly to hold you and tell you everything would be okay, but he only nodded. "I'm sorry you're in the middle of this, but if you don't kill me, you wouldn't be abiding by Elder's orders."

"That's something the Elder will have to take up with me personally." you reply softly, stepping closer towards the man. He instantly reaches out to take your hand, lacing his fingers with yours. "I will not hurt you ever, Danse."

"I love you, Y/N." he says lowly, taking your hand to his face and kissing the back of it. "Thank you for giving me another chance."