chapter FIFTY THREE

Start from the beginning

Listening to that soft chuckle made Lucas' heart skip a beat.

Maybe.. just maybe he liked her company a bit too much.. or liked her.

Because all those hands running over his body, those lingering touches he received from her surely did manage to fudge with his internal organs.

Now he knew... He knew he was marked with her name on his soul.

.....

Lucas walked into his house in silence and walked across the hallway and to his room up the spiral stairs, quietly dodging the busy maids who come by only to clean up the house everyday and any human interaction. The moment he stepped in, he sighed softly to himself and took off his bag.

He slid his (expensive) trench coat off and warmed himself up to the heater.

He almost choked, seeing the brown box sitting on his bed. He just shook his head and walked over.

To Brother, from brother.

Lucas gulped.

Was Wesley playing a prank again?

He sat down on the rayon bed sheets and pulled the box closer.

"Wes?" He called out, even though he knew no one would hear him. He pinched his red nose in annoyance. He bent forward and placed his ear close to the box and shook it. "This better not ruin my day." he mumbled to himself.

He took a deep breath and opened the box.

There were so many possibilities on what could have been in that damned box, but Lucas would have never guessed that the box was filled with art supplies. Seven Strathmore sketchbooks, three sets of paint, three packets of brushes, pencils, colours, you name it.

He let out a delighted scream, his heart beat rising and his cheeks turning pink from the joy.

He pulled out a pencil and tested it on the last page of one of the sketch books and squealed.

In midst of all these, was a folded paper.

He frowned slightly, but then grinned while pulling it out.

Lucas,

It read. God was Wesley extra.

Sure he had promised to buy Lucas the sketchbooks but he never knew that Wesley would actually do it.

He pulled out his phone instead and dialed Wesley's number.

But he pouted when the call didn't reach him and just sighed. He continued going through the supplies while forgetting about the paper note.

He felt like he was in heaven, just surrounded by his most favorite things that made him so flowering happy. He could cry, literally.

Suddenly, the door opened and Lucas' soul jumped out of his body in the process of being startled. His face fell the second his saw his dad's face.

"Lucas?" He said, closing the door behind him. Lucas didn't reply so the man continued. "I heard you have exams before the vacation starts."

"Uh- yeah." Lucas nodded slowly.

"How are the preparations going?"

"Uhm.. Good?" His dad always visited him right before exams to.. discuss his studies which was supposed to be motivational but it always ended with him telling Lucas how Wesley did way better in school.

"Have you started- wait what is this mess?" He suddenly scrunched his face and looked at all the colourful objects on his son's bed. "Lucas, what are you doing?"

Oh right, he also hated the fact that Lucas loved art and phototgraphy.

"N-Nothing- I was just--"

"Art won't get you the grades." He said. "Nor will it get you into a college."

Lucas met his dad's disappointed eyes and looked away quickly, gaze flickering to everywhere but his dad.

"I am studying."

"You call this studying?" He sighed. "I took my day off just so I could come here to have a word with you and this is what I find. Son, I don't care what you do with these stuff. But keeping up with the grades is still important."

"I am."

"Don't disappoint me, son."

And then, he left the room, leaving Lucas to just stare at the stuff in front of him with grey eyes, the stuff that made his heartbeat go insane just.. few minutes ago.

Lucas didn't understand why he should score well when his brother would be the one who would take over his father's company in few years. Lucas would still get a job in the same company anyway.

He sighed for the hundredth time that day.