Chapter 30

Riley's P.O.V.

Light grey orbs stare down at me, exploding with pure adoration and love. His lips pull back in the cutest crooked smile. In this moment, as we lay together in the fresh green grass, looking up at him I feel safe. More than safe, more than loved, he makes me feel a certain way that nobody, not even myself, could explain. This almost feels too good to be real, I find myself reaching up to touch his face just make sure he is here. The sigh that escapes my lips, while he pushes back a loose strand of hair, is full of content.

There is a calm, comforting silence that fills the air as we focus on each other intently. The soft breeze that blows over us causes the trees to sway and goose bumps arise on my skin. No words need to be spoken in this moment, the light caresses and simple gazes say enough. Whenever we come to this place there is a feeling of total bliss, nothing bad will ever happen to us here.

I don't even remember how long we've been laying here, minutes..hours maybe? It doesn't matter, there is no other place I would rather be then right here with him. The small rotting tree stumps are still in their original position, acting as a mini table for our picinic basket. Everything I see is filled with endless memories, from the flimsy swing that hangs from the tree to our initials that we pathetically attempted to carve into one of the branches.

Rays of sun peak through from in between the branches, illuminating his face. He holds a deep reverence in those wide eyes as they continue to peer down at me. My hand reaches up to touch his face, it's stubbly, how long has it been since he's shaven? Before I can tease him about his five-o'clock-shadow, a tear rolls down his cheek...followed by another. My throat begins to swell, why is he crying? Did I do something? More tears fall, I can feel the dampness on my skin like harsh raindrops. It's okay, please don't be upset. 

My thumbs run over both of his cheeks trying to prevent anymore tears from falling. Please..."don't...cry.." 

My words seam to be working, as his tears are gone...but... so is he. Kayden? Come back. Please come back to me. Everything seems to have dissappeared, it's getting darker and darker, as if somebody is dimming the lights. What's going on? I'm so confused. Suddenly, I can hear the faint sound of voices as if from a distance. Hello? Who am I even talking to? Why can't I see anything? 

I can feel pressure on my body as if somebody is touching me. "Please...let me see those eyes." I inhale quickly, startled from the sudden voice. The other voices are starting to get louder as well, calling my name, all giving me the same demands. Immediately I recognize each voice, especially one in particular. As feeling starts coming back to my body, my memory comes with it. The kidnapping..the woods...the cabin..Kayden. 

My eyelids slowly pull apart from each other, eyelashes fluttering in the proccess. The bright lights cause me to squint while I make out each figure in front of me. The most important one sits beside me, with red puffy eyes, and messy hair. 

Kayden's P.O.V.

I never thought that watching somebody open their eyes would make me feel so undeniably happy. But this wasn't just somebody, this was Riley. The most beautiful human being ever created, she was smart yet sassy. Always kind and so full of love, passionate about life. So watching her eyes open was, for me, one of the best things to ever happen. That smile I've been longing to see appeared on her face as soon as her eyes met mine. I wanted to hear her angelic voice again, but I'm not going to rush anything.

"There's my girl." My smile matches hers when I peer down, taking in her lively features. I never thought I would get to see those eyes again, or that smile. Our moment together doesn't last very long, as I am pushed aside by her eager family and surprised doctor. Auntie begins crying what I assume are tears of joy, while kissing her forehead and cheeks. Riley's eyes fall to the sheets on her bed as a blush creeps on her face from that embarrassing mother-daughter moment. Uncle is next, soon followed by Jace, they make sure to get in their 'I love you's and a few quick kisses to the forehead.