Chapter 29

Kayden's P.O.V.

"We'll meet you back in the room." Jace says while waiting for Finn to finish stuffing his face with the pathetic cafeteria food. I slightly nod and stand from my seat, jello cup in hand. While making my way out of there I throw it away. Where is the damn elevator in this place? After charging down two hallways the annoying 'ding' answers my question as my feet hastily follow the sound. When the door opens there is a mom holding her child's hand and beside them stand two nurses. I let them clear out first before entering the elevator.

The silence that fills the empty elevator is soothing, but only for a moment, until all of my thoughts come rushing back. She doesn't deserve this, why did it have to be her? Two weeks she has been here, two long and painful fucking weeks. The ache in my chest seems to grow every second she is gone, and it never goes away. The fact that I can't do anything to help her, kills me inside. Whenever I look at her beautiful face, it's just a constant reminder of how greatly I've failed her. It's just like one of my nightmares, except I can't wake up from this one. 

The stupid bell goes off again jolting me from my thoughts. 202...203...204, I count the room numbers in my head as I swiftly pass by them, anxious to be back in the room with her. When her room finally comes into view, so does Riley's parents, they're talking to one of the doctors. I barge in unannounced, with worry written all over my face. "What's going on? Is she okay?" Once I've pushed passed everybody, including the other two doctors that stand in the back, there is Riley in her usual place. 

"She is fine son." My uncle speaks first, his voice is shakey.

"Then what is going on? Why is everybody in here right now?" I'm so confused, one minute the room is empty and quiet, I can even hear myself breathing, the next minute it's crowded like a small shopping mall. What the fuck is happening? The doctors exchange looks between each other and Riley's parents. That's when I noticed my aunt's eyes are red and puffy again. "Somebody better tell me what the fuck is going on, right now." I demand, mainly to the doctors. They step back, intimidated by my harsh demeanor.

"Kayden..." My aunt's calm voice echos in my ears as she places a gentle touch on my shoulder. "The doctors came to discuss the other.....options, for Riley." What other options? If they thought of a different way to help her then why the hell haven't they done it yet? 

"Okay? Like what?" Her eyes look up at me filled with sorrow and empathy. My patience begins to run thin, "Are we talking about a treatment plan? If you guys need the money, I can pay for it, that's no problem." I have over one hundred thousand saved for college, but I'd give it all to them in the blink of an eye if it meant saving her. After all, there would be no point in living if it wasn't with her. She is my world, always has been.

"The option we are talking about, unfortunately does not allow Riley to go on this way." The doctor cuts in. Go on? What's this short old man trying to say?

"What are you talking about?" My fists clentch as I take a step towards the doctor...if he means...

"We would have to discontinue the life support."

"No."

"Kayden." My Uncle's voice is strong, defensive almost.

"No! We are not doing that to her. She can get through this, I know she can." My eyes search theirs for  some sort of understanding, but the only thing their features hold is pity. I don't want their fucking pity, I want them to agree with me. We are not doing this, it's not an option.

"She is not getting any better son. This is what is best for her, Riley wouldn't want to live this way." My uncle tries to reason with me. It sounds like they've been discussing this for some time, and they decided it would be best to keep it from me until now? Leading me to believe that she can pull through, when in the background they knew all along that she never stood a chance.