Chapter 21

Riley's P.O.V

My body freezes when I hear my name leave his lips. I slam my eyes shut and try my best to pretend that I am sleeping. I focus on evening out my breathing to make my act more convincing. When he whisper yells my name again, I silently wish he would just leave already. I don't have the energy to deal with whatever is happening between us right now. I hear his footsteps walk around to the other side of my bed and my heart beat quickens. I can feel his eyes on my back as he takes a seat on the side edge  of my bed.  "Riley, I know you are not sleeping." 

Well so much for that...

I sigh deeply and sit up, propping myself against the headboard. Might as well face him since my cover is already blown. "What do you want?" I ask. My eyes wander anywhere but on his, the fuzz balls on the blanket should do for now.

"I just wanted to talk to you." He admits weakly. Without even glancing at him I can tell he has that defeated look in his eyes. I know his head is down and his eyebrows are pushed together as he contimplates his next words. I try to fight the smile that threatens my lips when I imagine that adorable look. But when I think back to the subject at hand, my grin slowly fades.

"So talk." I basically order him, the coldness in my voice is clear, making me feel guilty but I stand my ground. Especially after how he just treated me, he deserves it. I spent over 13 hours in that dreaded place for him. I was worried, upset, and not to mention tired but I stayed there because I knew he needed me to...or at least I thought he did. All of that, just to have him act like a complete jerk the minute he walks out. 

I sit criss-cross with my hands folded in my lap as I wait for him to speak. My fingers suddenly become my new distraction as I focus on them to avoid eye contact. "I'm sorry" I hear him mumble, in a barely audiable whisper. I almost chuckle. He's...sorry? Well that's reassuring...

"Congratualtions." I retort. I cross my arms over my chest  and turn my gaze towards my fluffy bedspread. Kayden sighs and abruptly stands up from my bed, pacing back and forth across the room. I  get the courage to finally look up at him, I know he has a bad temper so I need to be careful not to push him too far. His hands run through his thick dark brown hair as he mumbles to himself, I can tell he is very frustrated right now.

Suddenly he pauses and swiftly turns towards me, "Look I know what I did back there was really fucked up okay?" He practically shouts at me. I flinch back at the volume of his voice. "But you don't understand..." He pauses for a moment, "I'm just trying to make this easier for us...for you." What is he going on about? In what way does starting fights between us, make our relationship easier?

"Make what easier? What are you talking about?" I boldly question him. He's not making any sense right now, and quite frankly he is irritating me.

"I don't..." Stopping mid-sentence he wipes his hand over his, slightly unshaven, face. "We can't be together Riley." He finally chokes out with watery eyes. His back is facing me only making me angrier. Why is he saying these things? I thought we were doing good, I tried my best to be a good girlfriend. I can feel my eyes begin to fill up with unwelcomed tears and the familiar lump in my throat is back, uninvited.

"W-Why are you doing this?" I whisper, not trusting my full voice right now. He clears his throat and in one second I see the emotion in his eyes disappear. His light grey eyes that were once filled with happiness and love are now a cold dark grey that shows absolutely no emotion. There are no more tears in his eyes, it's like they were never even there to begin with. I don't know who this is standing in front of me right now, but it is definitely not my Kayden.

He lifts his head up and his eyes meet mine once again, "Riley, I do not want to be with you."  His ice cold words don't miss a beat as they hit me like a freight train, and my world comes crumbling to the ground. My breathing gets heavier and heavier, uncontrollable tears escape from my eyes. I feel weak, and embarrassed.

"No...no, y-you don't mean that." I try to convince myself with a shakey voice. The room feels like it is spinning and I feel very light headed but none of that matters at the moment. I immediately rise up out of my bed and wipe the tears from my eyes. As I step towards him, he takes another step away from me. "Please...don't do this." I look into those eyes and beg him with all that is left in me. This can't be happening, I need him. He is the only light in my life, my only reason for being. 

"I'm sorry Riley." Those are his last words before he exits my bedroom. I fall to my knees clutching my stomach, crying so hard that no sound will even come out. I take a deep breath of needed oxygen and without thinking, I rise from the ground and rush out of my room. 

"No..." I mumble. "Kayden....wait, please!" I shout like a fool as I try to catch up with him. I sprint out of my house and down my drive way. I can see his figure a few yards ahead and I bolt after him. Finally I catch up with him. I grab onto his arm and roughly turn his body around to face me. Before he decides that he wants to leave me, I need to get this out, maybe he will change his mind. "I...I know." I try to speak through pants as I attempt to catch my breath. Gosh I must look like a freak, with tear stained cheeks, messy hair and I can't even talk.

"I know I am not very attractive, and I can be really annoying quite often. I-I'm sorry for that, also I am sorry for not being good enough for you, I promise I tried so hard to be. But ple-"

"You need to leave Riley. Go home." he demands. When I look into his eyes there is no emotion, how does this not affect him? This whole time, it meant nothing to him? I stand there frozen by his words, why is he doing this?

"But Kay-"

"Go. Home." I suck in a breath as if somebody just ripped my heart out, through it on the ground, and stomped on it. I turn on my heals and make a run for it back home, wiping my eyes as I go, to clear my vision. I swing the door open and bolt up the stairs.

"Honey what happened?" I hear my mom call as I enter my bedroom. I don't respond, instead I throw my self on the pillow and cry out all the pain, hatred, anger, and embarrassment I feel. He never wanted me, I was just some charity case to him. All the moments we shared meant nothing, all of the kisses we had that made me weak at the knees, that was all a lie. 

I continue to cry out all of my emotions for the next few hours, until I am all drained. I walk over to the mirror and look at this pathetic excuse of a girl. I feel numb all throughout my body, it's a comfortable feeling, after all the pain I just endured. "Look at yourself..." I shudder at the red rings around my blood shot eyes. This is the most painful experience I've had, way worse than when we first broke up. That first one was hard, but my feelings for him weren't nearly as strong as they are now.

I decide to take a quick shower, not minding that the water occasionally switches from scorching hot to ice cold. When I'm done I reach for a towel, "Crap..", which is not even there. I pad across my room to the clean pile of laundrey that sits in the blue basket. Some things will never change, like the fact that I can never remember to put those stupid towels away in my bathroom. Reminds me of what happened when Kayden was here and I forgot my towel...

I hate how everything reminds me of him, I can't go five minutes without thinking about him and it's taking a toll on my body. I want to stop, but everywhere I look, all I see is him. I feel like I lost half of myself, but then again you can't lose what you never had. The worst part is, while I am going through hell, he's moved on, clearly not affected in the slightest. 

A/N: Just got back from my trip and decided to update for you lovely readers. Thank you for being so patient and understanding with my crazy schedule! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and keep up the voting! Love you all xoxo- Jade:)