Chapter 42 "Eternal Slumber"

.

.

.

Meliodas flutters his eyes opened as a whisper woke him up and find himself laying on the open field, the soft blow of wind making him want to continue his sleep but an uneasiness inside his heart prevents him from doing so.

Without realizing it, he started crying. He clenched his chest where his heart was aching so badly, "Why does it ache so much?" He wondered.

"I wonder why?" A soft voice reached his ears from behind.

He instantly turned around and sees Elizabeth as the aching inside him immediately died down.

"Elizabeth!" He beamed. She smiled brightly at him while waving.

"Where are we?" He asked as she approached him and wiped his tears with her index fingers on both eyes.

"Meliodas, do you not remember?" She mumbled, avoiding eye contact.

He raised his eyebrow in confusion and tried to remember anything she was reffering to. He starts to grow doubts as to why she was dressed in white, why they're in an opened field that seemed somehow familiar, why he was sleeping in the first place and why she asked him the question.

"Did something happened?"

Upon hearing his reply, Elizabeth shook her head and smiled, "You slept and I had to wake you up. That's what happened."

He only grew more doubtful but before he could question again, Elizabeth stood up and sctreches her body, letting out a contentful sigh. Meliodas couldn't help but smiled at her.

"What are we doing here anyways? In the middle of nowhere." He looked around.

She chuckles and starts to tip toe on the grass, setting a distance between them. "This middle of nowhere is where we'll have to part our ways."

"What do you mean?" He immediately stood up and walked towards her but she took a step backwards everytime he steps forward.

"We don't have much time. You need to wake up before you lose your soul in the real world."

"I don't know what you're talking about! Tell me." Meliodas exclaimed as he starts to panic. "I can't remember what's happened. Where are you going? Aren't we're fighting with Zel-"

He stopped his tracks as he remembered everything. How he stabbed her without a second thought.

"I-" When the realization hitted him, his eyes starts to tear up and his breathing became unstable.

"I'm sorry we have to go through all that pain again." She whispered while trying to hold her own tears from escaping.

Meliodas falls to the grass, "I can't bare losing you. Not again."

Hearing this, Elizabeth cries.

"Look to the distance, know that I am there. And that I watch over you always."

While Meliodas cries into his arms, Elizabeth made no move to approach him. She took a deep breath as she wipes her tears,

"It's time for you to wake up, Meliodas."

___________________________________

Meliodas wakes up in a jolt as he pants for air.

He was on the ground, where the fight happened. He could hear his friends voices calling him and the Ten Commandments' sigh of reliefs.

He wasn't relieved at all. He looked to his right and saw the body of his younger brother laying there covered in wounds and blood.

He wanted to shout, for being so useless and letting Zeldris taking the responsibilities that was supposed to be his if he hadn't been so selfish.

He turned his gaze to his left and there she was, still beautiful even in wounds, Elizabeth lays on the ground beside him with a peaceful look.

Seeing her expression, he wanted to be angry at her. But instead, he slowly picks her up and cried as he buried his face into her hair.

.

.

.

"We will meet again."