Chapter 17 "You are Kind Even When People Saw Your Face Says the Otherwise"

Meliodas could feel all the Sins' presence disappearing one by one, he knows they're not bluffing, and their opponents are someone else.

"Seems like we are the only ones left." A voice appeared nowhere. Meliodas stopped his steps, "Why not settle this now? Seems like you're aiming me." He smiled, a person with a mask on his face showed up in front of him with small steps. "I've been wondering how much our strengths and powers differ." He spoke casually, stopping his tracks.

"Why don't we find out? Pretty interesting if someone can match my power and strength." Meliodas replied smiling.

As soon as his words finished, the masked man appeared from his back and swing his sword, Meliodas jumps on the roof barely dodging it, the man jumps to him with a fire ball in his hands as he charge it towards Meliodas. He uses Full Counter and the magic was reflected right back at the man. He lifts his right hand and the fire disappear.

Meliodas remains guard up with calmness. "What's your name? This is the first time I saw someone manage to make a magic vanished. Similar to my Counter Vanish." He asked.

"The name's Cifer." He says as he jumps towards Meliodas again, this time with a sword enchanted with a fire. Meliodas took out his Lostvayne and reflect his attack.

Meliodas uses his feet to kick Cifer but he vanished, then he reappeared behind him and slash his sword at Meliodas's back, he fell to the ground.

"I didn't know you're capable of enchanting." He says as he stand up from the ground. Suddenly, the wound at his back turns to black fire. Burning his back for a second, he falls to his knees and uses his demon power to cover his wound. "You.. How do you know to use demon powers?" He asked in pain.

"I wasn't taught by anyone. I was born with it." He said calmly. "Before I knew it, I was given the mission to annihilate the Seven Deadly Sins."

Meliodas got up. "I presume the Ten Commandments ordered you to?"

Cifer's body began to release a huge amount of demonic aura.

"He's releasing all his power?" Meliodas thought as he looks to their surroundings.

"I know I can't kill you. That is why, it is more important too look at other options that there is left."

Cifer's demon aura began to crash everything that is on their surroundings.

"Are you mad?!" Meliodas shouted and cursed, there's no way getting out from this except if it hits a living being.

Cifer wasn't able to hear anymore as he lost consciousness and Meliodas knew what will happen if a demonic aura hits a demon. The outcome will be very ugly.

Still, he can't just ran away. There's still people here and his comrades.

The demonic aura was getting close to Meliodas as his demonic power wasn't able to hold it longer and before he can think of a way to stop it, someone ran to his front and took the hit.

Blood came out from her mouth and she lost her balance and Meliodas took her into a hug. His eyes were wide and mouth was hanging speechless.

"Herlyn?!"

He raised one of his arm to see blood was painted on it. And it was her blood.

Cifer's body began to dissipate and the demonic aura began to vanish, the village took huge damage and there's barely a house you could live in anymore.

"Meliodas." She called quietly while chocking on her blood.

"Don't move or speak! Your blood-"

"No. I'm going to die. There's no way out of it." She spoke and smiled sadly. "Listen, this village is just an illusion."

Meliodas was speechless and he could feel his heart beating with sorrow and anger.

"I created it. No, actually- all the people died four days ago, the first time when the bandits came. I'm the only one alive." She could feel her tears forming and her mouth was pouring blood.

"I knew something was off about those bandits. That's why I needed help from you guys. Which things got pretty worse." She chuckled slightly. "I was born with a power that allows me to see the future of a person if I look into their eyes. And I saw yours." At this time, her voice was getting quieter.

"I actually wanted to meet you, that's why I asked for help." She smiled slightly in pain.

"Demons and Goddesses are never allowed to intervene with each other's life." She spoke and she was leaning on Meliodas shoulder as Meliodas lay her down on the ground still holding her tight.

"The outcome of it will be very painful. When it comes to love, don't you think that a demon and a goddess will actually be quite a good pair?" She asked and Meliodas knew who she was referring to.

"Sadly, their own race won't accept such things. Even when you're in the same race, love was a very hard thing to keep."

"What do you mean?" He asked and Herlyn gasped for breath once more.

"Know that this isn't your fault. And that what is yet to happen will be more painful than this. But you must carry on." She whispered and her grip on his body began to loosen.

"Do you think I'm a fool for throwing away a second chance to live? I could run away from here four days ago to start a new life and leave this all be. But I choose not to." Her blood had stopped flowing from her mouth and she lift her head from Meliodas' shoulder to give him a smile in the eye with all her strength.

"Even though I can't see him anymore since thousands of years ago. At least, even when he was called the Executioner, his heart and voice has the kindness same as you have."

Herlyn's closes her eyes and her lips was formed into a small smile.

"Gelda?" Meliodas called and he could feel his tears are forming. "I couldn't save you for the second time." He gritted his teeth and forced his tears to dry themselves.