Chapter 24--The Castle

Hey guys! I'm so sorry for not updating! I totally forgot my computer at school over the weekend and I was actually super bored without it! I worked on this small chapter today and I wanna try to update Just Passing Through today as well because I only posted one chapter. Thanks for your patience and I hope you like this chapter! Don't forget to comment and vote!! :D 

My mother showed us the front door of the castle and ditched us with her top general. The disgusting encounter went like this: My mother talked a long speech about the prodigal son returning to take his place. She bragged about it being a "Lion King" moment. I rolled my eyes, "Please stop talking."

She cackled, "No really! You're like Simba who comes back on the account of what is good in this cold world."

"You know Simba killed the acting king to take the throne back? I guess I could make it a real lion king moment."

She stopped and turned to me, clapping her hands, "Oh! Now, that'd be a show! Seeing you fight against the royal guard would be quite the treat."

I was disgusted with her disregard for her soldiers. She kept on as I ignored her banter. She kept poking at me, asking about my "mangy" friends and why I brought them. I answered her questions with a grunt and finally, we reached the front gate. I was hoping she'd leave and she did.

A general who looked to be 40-ish walked up to her and bowed, "Your Majesty." He reached and kissed her hand with a small smile. She ignored him, much to his dismay and he became a bit irritable. I could tell because I was so used to picking up the smaller details. His face went stone cold when he bent back up and he walked to me and bowed again, "Prince." He stood up and looked my friends up and down with a nod. They nodded back and my mother spoke, "Fernando, take them to their rooms, please. I am far too tired to continue this walk." I rolled my eyes as he kissed her hand again with a small smile. She nodded and smiled back, "Thank you, darling."

His face lightened and he seemed to be slightly more positive as he looked to me, "Prince, right this way."

I nodded as we followed him past the gates and through the town that was inside the walls. This small town for only for the soldiers and soldiers-in-training. The trained soldiers either went to defend the castle or to the war fronts in small groups. It depended on their skill. Only the best were able to stay in the castle. The town itself was built on a hill. The main road leading to the castle was a hill and the generals and upper-ranking soldiers stayed at the top of the hill. The idea was to preserve the best fighters until absolutely necessary in order to defend the queen. I remember how it was explained to me last time I visited: conveyed throughout the short grumbles and words of a small, angry, dwarf-man.

Fernando began leading us through the town as my mother took a different way. I didn't think much of it since I knew she didn't like Bell and Xander. When I looked at the others behind me, I realized that I'd almost forgotten that they were there because they were so quiet. Bell looked so afraid and worried so I dropped back in the group next to her and whispered, "Are you okay"

She shook her head, "He's here."

I was worried, "Who?"

"My mate."

I looked at her eyes and then followed them, but she was locked on to nothing. She was looking away from wherever he was on purpose. "Who is he, Bell?"

"H-He...I don't know honestly. He's powerful."

I nodded, "I'll chop off his balls if he comes anywhere near you, okay?"

She quietly nodded and we continued under Fernando's silent guidance. Eventually, we walked up to the main entrance of the keep of the castle where royals and their servants lived. Fernando knocked on the door and a short, stocky man answered, "What do you want?"