Years

On our first day of school for this term, Dumbledore announced the Tri-Wizard Tournament, which intrigued most everyone at school. Until Barty Crouch announced that no one under the age of 17 could enter, which the twins thought was "rubbish." Personally, I didn't mind, since I had never been one for a competition of wits. I was more upset when they announced that there would be no Quidditch this season.

I couldn't help but notice over the next couple of months that a Durmstrang boy, named Branimir Ivaylio, had been around me more and more often. He had spoken with me on several occasions, and eventually, we became friends. He was very friendly to me, but something about him made the twins dislike him. I don't know what it was, but I still talked to him regardless.

Closer to Christmas, a Yule Ball was announced and was to take place on Christmas. I stood next to the twins during the lesson McGonagall had arranged. She had Ron come up and dance with her as a demonstration.

"You're never gonna let him forget this, are you?" Harry asked the twins.

They leaned in next to Harry and spoke at the same time, "Never."

They stood back up straight and mimicked the dance McGonagall and Ron were doing in the overexaggerated and goofy way known as "Weasley." I giggled at the sight of them, loving how silly the two of them were.

Next thing you know, we were all sitting in the Great Hall studying with Snape. Fred had been passing notes with Ron. "Who are you going with then?" Ron whispered to Fred.

Fred tossed a crumpled piece of paper at Angelina Johnson and asked her to the ball with a few weird motions. She nodded and smiled, causing Fred to look back at Ron, smiling and giving him a big old wink. As Fred looked back down at his homework, I felt as though I'd throw up. I turned my finished assignment in with Professor Snape and walked out.

A tear escaped me, making me realize how much I really loved Fred. I had been sitting almost out of his earshot, but he watched me walk out. I took one look back at him, confusion filling his face for a second, then an apologetic look flooded over him. He stood up, but I walked away quickly, leaving the room and heading back to the common room.

Halfway there, I had calmed down and wiped away the tear I had. Branimir walked up to me with his school things in hand, not knowing where he'd be going with me. "Hello, Elizabeth. Is something wrong?"

"No," I told him. "I'm fine." I put on the best smile I could, and he seemed to believe it. "Just finished my homework for Potions class. I was about to head to the Gryffindor common room."

"Cool," Branimir replied. He brushed a bit of his black hair out of his face. "Also, I was wondering if, maybe, you would like to attend the ball with me?"

I looked up at this seventh year Durmstrang with curiosity. He wanted to go to the ball with me? Well, considering Fred must not like me the way he used to, I suppose it'd be okay. Besides, Fred probably hates me because of Branimir, so that's why he asked Angelina and not me. He hates me. So, screw it.

"I'd love to," I replied. He smiled big.

"Great!" Branimir responded. "I can't wait to see you there. It's only a week away, after all. See you then, Elizabeth."

Branimir walked away, back to doing whatever it was he was doing. I walked to the Gryffindor common room with a smile. It was made of happiness that I had found a date for the ball, but also sadness that I had finally figured out that Fred truly didn't like me anymore. Ever since I began talking to Branimir, he almost stopped speaking to me completely. He hated me, and I had lost my best friend. It wasn't both twins, either. George still talked to me, but he talked to me less than he used to as well.

My best friends had finally decided they don't need me anymore. They had found a way to work themselves right out of my life with no warning. It hurt, you know. But at the same time, I had found someone new that I could confide in- Branimir Ivaylio.