Chapter 28: the diagnosis

Dr. Altman shown the light in my eyes, waving it from side to side. I followed it, my eyes shaking at the sudden movement. I didn't remember anything before last night. Will explained everything to me. And frankly, I wasn't surprised. The whole episode probably started with me getting disoriented once more, then hallucinating, then the final result. A seizure. Will did what any trained paramedic or doctor would do and turned me on my side, cushioning my head so I wouldn't cause any major damage.

Now looking back at it, I'm glad there's finally someone here to take care of me when that does happen. Will is freaking out way more than I think he should. He even took me to the clinic and we've been here for about three hours just waiting for Dr. Altman to show up.

I've been through this whole parade before. But it was usually Lexi who was with me, and trust me, she worried way more than Will was right now.

I tried not to roll my eyes when I saw him shake his head as he slung his stethoscope around his neck. God my head still hurt. But I was trying not to show any signs of pain. It would only make Will worry more about me.

"Well?" Will spoke up, cutting almost in front of Dr. Altman. I could tell this was agonizing for him. He hadn't been able to stop pacing or moving since we had gotten here.

"Her pupils are dilated quite a bit, and blood pressures high."

I doubt Dr. Altman has looked more into my condition. I haven't heard a single word from him since he spoke with me at the hospital. And frankly, I didn't really want to hear from him anyways.

"Like I said, ms. Winston, this is the exact reason why I wanted you to come in. So we could keep this kind of thing from happening."

I raised my eyebrows. He's kidding right?

"Oh really? What could you have done that other doctors couldn't have? Sorry let me rephrase that. What have you done to even suggest to me that I should trust you to give me advice as far as my health?"

Will stepped forward.

"Liv-"

"No." I held my hand up still keeping eye contact with Dr. Altman. I continued.

"What do you know as far as my condition?"

He hesitated.

"I know you want to finally figure out why this is happening to you. And tr-"

"No!" I snapped, "I think you know as much as I do about my condition. NOTHING."

Dr. Altman hadn't given me any reason to trust him. My feelings towards him are the same as when I first met him.

"Have you even done any research? Anything?" I crossed my arms. I know I sound like a bitch right now, but I was tired of him saying we could fix this when we didn't even know if there was anything to be fixed.

The room was silent. Just as I thought. He didn't have any answers for me. That was nothing new since he had pretty much the same information as all the other doctors that I had seen.

"I did." Will interrupted the silence, but he didn't want to make eye contact with me.

"What?" I turned in astonishment. I didn't know he would be researching about my specific condition. On top of everything else? Hell it didn't even seem like he would have time to.

"I have some research. I- I had a lot of free time while you were at the hospital, and this whole thing was just driving me crazy."

"What did you find?"

"Liv, I don't even know if it's-"

"Tell me." I interrupted stepping forward, so close to Will our noses almost touched.

He sighed and scratched the back of his neck, glancing from me to Doctor Altman. I don't know what was keeping him from telling me.

"It's very rare. But there may be an abnormality  in your brain that causes you to have seizures."

"How rare?"

Will hesitated. "There's only a few other people who have it. But I researched the symptoms and you seem to have every one of them except for permanent damage in your brain. But that doesn't mean it couldn't still happen."

I almost gaped. I'd never actually had a real diagnosis, let alone even a possibility of what my condition might be. And I know it might not be true, but it felt nice to at least have a possibility.

This felt so different. Like I was actually getting somewhere. There hasn't been a time in my life where I've felt like I've found everything about myself that was real. Until now.

Dr. Altman stepped forward. "And what makes you think she even has this 'disease'" he held up air quotes and I had to keep myself from rolling my eyes.

"Like I said." I could tell Will was getting annoyed too by his tone of voice, "she has the symptoms and it occurs in younger adults."

Dr. Altman crossed his arms.

"And where is all your research." He started this as if he already knew the answer. It was more of a statement than a question really.

"At the hospital." Will replied with a sharp tone.

"I'll tell you what. I'll test Olivia for any possible illnesses while you're gone, and you go to the hospital and get your research."

Hell no.

I did not want to be stuck with this ass for the next hour. He definitely hasn't given me any reason to trust his practice. When he tested me, all of them would probably turn out negative, and we'd be back to square one.

But I knew one thing for sure.

I'd believe Will over Doctor Altman any day.

==============================

Disclaimer: the disease that Liv has is completely made up by me. Unless there is one that you guys find that matches up completely with mine, it is made up. Thanks for reading!